Chicken A La King is a creamy weeknight dinner ready in under 30 minutes with tender chicken, mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots, and peas.
CHICKEN A LA KING
Chicken à la King is a classic chicken dish made with a creamy sauce with mushrooms, peppers, and other vegetables. It’s one of those dinner recipes you can throw together in under a half-hour, and it never disappoints.
The name of the creamy chicken dish might make you think it comes from France or somewhere exotic, but it’s actually an American recipe. Well, most likely it’s American. There are several conflicting accounts of where this delicious dish originated. One of them claims Chicken A La King was created in London at the Claridge’s Hotel. However, most other accounts place it somewhere in the US, although, whether that’s New York, Philadelphia, or Miami is up for debate. No matter where it came from, one thing that can be agreed on is how delicious it tastes.
The creamy chicken dish is perfect for the next time you have leftover Rotisserie Chicken or any other pre-cooked chicken. Simply slice the leftover chicken into bite-sized cubes and add it to the creamy sauce with the other easy ingredients for a quick meal that the whole family is sure to love.
Chicken à la King is classically served over toast or rice. Some people also enjoy the meal over pasta. It goes particularly well over a bed of egg noodles. The combination of chicken, creamy sauce, veggies, and rice, bread, or noodle base makes it a filling and comforting dish that you won’t be able to get enough of.
MORE COMFORTING DINNER DISHES
TIPS FOR MAKING CHICKEN A LA KING
- Vegetables: Start the recipe by slicing the onion, fresh mushrooms, celery, green pepper, and carrots into thin pieces. Add your butter to a large skillet and turn the stove heat to medium. Add the sliced vegetables to the melted butter and stir well. Give the vegetables an 8-10 minute cook time until they’re slightly softened.
- Cream sauce: In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, broth, and milk. Whisk until the creamy mixture is smooth. Then pour it over the vegetables.
- Chicken: Add the boneless chicken breast pieces. Continue cooking over medium-high heat until the chicken is golden brown at the edges and the sauce is thickened—it should take about 10 minutes. Lastly, stir in the peas. Serve over rice, toast, or pasta right away.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHICKEN A LA KING
- Vegetables: You can try adding a variety of extra veggies into this recipe. Cauliflower, green beans, broccoli, red potatoes, corn, or spinach would all taste amazing and add some variety.
- Seasonings: Experiment with the flavors of the Chicken à la King by adding in spices and seasonings. Garlic powder, paprika, rosemary, oregano, onion powder, or thyme would all bring a unique new twist to the recipe.
- Cream sauce: If you want a thicker and richer cream sauce, just use heavy cream. You can use heavy cream to replace part or all of the milk depending on how rich you want the dish to be.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN A LA KING
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN A LA KING
- Serve: After cooking, serve the chicken right away. It will stay good at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: After that, you should transfer Chicken à la King to airtight containers to store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Freeze: You can also store the chicken in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just let it defrost in the fridge before reheating the recipe on the stovetop.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms , sliced
- 1 stalk celery , thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper , diced
- 1 carrot , peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 chicken breasts , cut into 1" chunks
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Add butter to a large heavy skillet on medium heat.
- Add in mushrooms, celery, onion, bell pepper, and carrots, stirring well.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Whisk together flour, salt, broth, and milk until smooth.
- Add into the pot and stir well.
- Add in chicken breast pieces and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in peas and serve over rice or toast.