Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Bake is an easy, sweet breakfast to feed a crowd. Made with cinnamon raisin bread in brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg custard.
Breakfast Recipes like this one are great for the holidays or family get togethers. Instead of making individual slices of French toast over a griddle, you can bake breakfast for everyone in one dish. For more sweet breakfast casseroles try Chocolate Chip Croissant Casserole.
CINNAMON RAISIN FRENCH TOAST BAKE
Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Bake is the perfect warm, sweet breakfast to throw together for the weekend or the next holiday. This simple breakfast bake has the same soft, lightly toasted bread that makes French toast so irresistible. Making it into a casserole-like dish means you can make enough for everyone all at once and include raisins and other add-ins.
If you love this Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Bake, be sure to try other baked French toast recipes. Easy French Toast Bake and Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake are both equally delicious breakfasts perfect for Christmas morning.
Whether you’re making it for a holiday or just a normal morning, this is the perfect indulgent breakfast your whole family will love. The raisins and custard bring so much delicious flavor to your bread bake. The smell of cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar will fill the house while your breakfast bakes in the oven. We honestly can’t think of a better way to start the morning! Once it’s done you can serve it with maple syrup over the top and enjoy.
DRY OUT BREAD FOR STUFFING OR BAKES
The best way to make bread pudding, stuffing, or bakes like this one is with slightly stale bread. It might sound backwards to use less fresh bread. However, using older, dry bread makes it absorb the custard better.
If your cinnamon raisin bread is fresh, there are still a few options to get it to the right texture. Leave your bread out overnight to dry out. If you forgot to prepare the bread the night before, just toast it at 250 degrees for 15 minutes.
MORE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPES
OVERNIGHT CINNAMON RAISIN FRENCH TOAST BAKE
Although you can make this French Toast Bake the morning you plan to serve it, you can also prep it ahead of time. Once you’ve prepared Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Bake, you can leave it in the fridge overnight, then all you have to do is bake it in the morning.
- Start out by whisking together the eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and raisins in a large bowl as usual.
- Tear up the cinnamon raisin bread, and add the bread pieces to the custard.
- Pour the custard and bread cubes into the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it. You don’t want to leave it longer than overnight.
VARIATIONS ON CINNAMON RAISIN FRENCH TOAST BAKE
- Bread: If you don’t have cinnamon raisin bread, you can replace it with a different bread option. Try sourdough, Texas toast, wheat bread, French bread, or rolls. Because there’s cinnamon and raisins in the custard, you’ll still have some of those flavors.
- Mix-ins: There are plenty of mix-ins you can try the next time you make Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Bake. If you use bread without raisins, try using chocolate chips in place of the raisins in the custard. You can also try mixing dried cranberries, or golden raisins along with the raisins.
- Cinnamon sugar topping: Try making a cinnamon streusel topping for your French toast bake. Combine 2 tablespoons cold butter, ¼ cup flour, 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon. Mix the ingredients in a small bowl until it makes a crumbly topping. Sprinkle it over the French toast before baking.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES FOR THE HOLIDAYS
HOW TO SRORE CINNAMON RAISIN FRENCH TOAST BAKE
- Serve: You can leave your French toast bake at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: After it’s cooled, cover the French toast in plastic wrap or tin foil to store in the fridge. It will stay good in the fridge for up to a week.
- Freeze: You can seal the French toast bake and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it defrost in the fridge overnight, then reheat it in the oven.
Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Bake
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Course: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk , (or evaporated milk)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar , packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins
- 16 ounces cinnamon-raisin bread , cubed
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 8x10 baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and raisins.
- Add in the bread and gently stir until custard is soaked in.
- Pour mixture into baking dish.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 222 calories, Calories: 222g, Carbohydrates: 34g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 128mg, Sodium: 200mg, Potassium: 285mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 246g, Vitamin C: 1g, Calcium: 96g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.