Creamy Spicy Sweet Potato Salad is the perfect side bursting with flavor from lime, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cilantro, and coriander.
This is a fun and flavorful spin on Classic Potato Salad. Not only does it exchange traditional potatoes for sweet potatoes, but the dressing is also made extra flavorful with amazing spices, cilantro, and lime. Enjoy this delicious Side at your next BBQ or potluck.
This Sweet Potato Salad recipe is sure to become a go-to dish for midweek meals, summer cookouts, and family reunions. The sweet potato base is super easy to make. Then you just whisk together the zesty dressing and toss it all together. It’s simple, flavorful, and goes great on the side of Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken, Hamburgers, and Pulled Pork.
The only thing you really need to worry about with this recipe is making sure you start making it in advance. While it is pretty quick to assemble the salad, you also need to give it enough time to chill before serving. Letting the potatoes cool before mixing them with the other ingredients, and letting the combined salad chill in the fridge is all vital to make sure you don’t end up with runny potato salad.
This recipe is also a great way to serve some healthy ingredients with a BBQ or at a weeknight dinner. Though, it’s just as creamy as typical potato salad, the sweet potatoes have a lot more vitamins and minerals. It’s a delicious Summer side that you can feel good about serving your whole family!
More Easy and Delicious Salad Recipes
Tips for Making Creamy Spicy Sweet Potato Salad
- Cook sweet potatoes: Start by adding the sweet potatoes to a large pot with cold water. Then bring it to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Pierce one of the potatoes with a fork to test if it’s done. Drain the water, and lay the potatoes out on a baking sheet to air dry for 10 minutes. Then slice the potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Salad: Add the sweet potatoes, onion, celery, and fresh cilantro to a salad bowl.
- Dressing: Add the mayonnaise, lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, coriander, cayenne, salt, and pepper to a medium bowl. Whisk the mayonnaise mixture until well combined.
- Combine: Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss until it’s all coated in the spicy mayonnaise mixture.
- Chill: Put the recipe in the fridge to chill for about 1 hour before serving.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to add even more heat to the recipe, you can slice up some jalapeño pepper or chipotle pepper to toss in the salad.
Easily experiment with the flavor of this recipe by adding different spices like sweet paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, or red pepper flakes.
If you want cheese in the recipe, try tossing in some crumbly feta cheese, blue cheese, or creamy goat cheese.
You can also add different vegetables like corn kernels, sliced bell pepper, carrots, broccoli, or peas. They’ll add a lot of delicious color, texture, and flavor to the recipe.
To make this recipe more filling, you can add in some chicken. Slice up cooked boneless chicken breast and toss it with the potatoes and dressing. It turns this side dish into a great lunch.
More BBQ Side Dishes
How to Store Creamy Spicy Sweet Potato Salad
- Serve: Potato Salads won’t stay good at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: If you have leftovers, you can just cover the dish in plastic wrap to store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: It is not recommended to freeze recipes containing mayonnaise, as it will separate and curdle when thawed.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 yellow onion , minced
- 1/2 cup celery , minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro , minced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime , juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Add sweet potatoes to a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain carefully and let sweet potatoes air dry on a baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the sweet potatoes, onion, celery, and cilantro.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, coriander, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the potato mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.