Southwestern Potato Salad made with avocados, black bean, corn and cheese with a creamy southwestern dressing that’s the perfect side dish for your BBQ.
SOUTHWESTERN POTATO SALAD
Classic potato salad is all well and good but sometimes you need to change things up a little. My take on a traditional potato salad recipe uses all of the basic ingredients plus a variety of southwestern flavors, from chicken and sweet corn to fresh lime juice and avocado.
If you’re looking for a fun side dish to fit a southwestern themed meal you should try out this recipe.
This salad is designed to be served chilled, so if you have a lot to get done the day of your cookout you can make the salad the day before and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it up.
HOW TO MAKE SOUTHWESTERN POTATO SALAD
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the cut potatoes and cook them until they are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool down to room temperature.
- Combine the mayo, apple cider vinegar, fresh lime juice, taco seasoning and kosher salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir everything together and add more salt or black pepper to taste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the bowl then add in the dressing.
- Toss everything together so that the potatoes are thoroughly coated.
- Cover the large bowl and put it in the fridge to let it cool.
- Onion: For a little bit of a bite, add diced red onion, green onion or scallions to the southwestern potato salad. You only need to add a little bit, a little goes a long way.
- Spices: Try mixing cumin, red pepper flakes, dijon mustard or cayenne pepper into the dressing if you want to mix up the taste a little.
- Veggies: You can go nuts with the veggies for this recipe. Finely chop a red bell pepper some celery to add a pleasant crunch.
- BBQ: Mix some BBQ sauce into the dressing to give your potato salad even more of a southwest flavor. The BBQ sauce goes really well with the tang of the lime juice.
- Vegan: To make this recipe vegan friendly, all you have to do is switch out the mayo and the cheese for diary-free substitutes. Apart from those two elements, southwestern potato salad is made up of completely vegan ingredients.
- Sour cream: Top the potato salad off with a spoonful of sour cream. The cream gives it a little extra flavor and adds to the texture.
- Classic Pot Roast: Is there anything that pot roast isn’t delicious with? Maybe ice cream, but you never know until you try. Potato salad is a great side dish to contrast with the rich, meaty flavor of the roast because of how light, cool and summery the salad is.
- Oven Baked Beef Tacos: If you want to go with the summer taste, cook up some beef tacos. They’re great for sharing but we won’t judge if you want them all for yourself.
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin: If you’re planning a dinner you can grill up on the BBQ, you should try this pork recipe. The tenderloin ends up moist and juicy instead of drying out like a lot of meat does over an open fire. The pork tenderloin goes really well with the potato salad and both make great leftovers for later.
HOW LONG IS IT GOOD?
- Serve: Because of the mayo in the recipe, you shouldn’t leave southwestern potato salad out for longer than 2 hours before refrigerating.
- Store: Potato salad leftovers are good in the fridge for about 3 days before they go bad.
- Freeze: Don’t. Mayo doesn’t thaw out well so you’ll end up with a mushy mess.
Southwestern Potato Salad
- Yield: 10 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Southwestern Potato Salad made with avocados, black bean, corn and cheese with a creamy southwestern dressing that's the perfect side dish for your BBQ.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes , peeled and cut into 2? chunks
- 2 chicken breasts , chopped and cooked
- 1 jalapeno , deveined deseeded and minced
- 1 cup sweet?corn
- 1 15-oz. can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 avocados , diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro , chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 limes , juiced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Add potatoes and water and bring to a boil, cooking 10-12 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
Drain and and cool, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make dressing: Whisk all ingredients together. Taste and add salt as desired.
Stir corn, black beans, cheese, tomatoes, avocados, chicken and cilantro in with potatoes. Toss with dressing. Cover tightly and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
Yield: 10 Servings, Amount per serving: 411 calories, Calories: 411g, Carbohydrates: 26g, Protein: 16g, Fat: 28g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 50mg, Sodium: 433mg, Potassium: 868mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 491g, Vitamin C: 23g, Calcium: 110g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.