Oven Baked Beef Tacos are an easy weeknight meal you can make ahead with ground beef, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.
BAKED BEEF TACOS
Baked Beef Tacos weren’t on our calendar for the month of June but we got a few reader emails including one from Emily P. who said “You have Cheesy Taco Pasta, Taco Shells, and Taco Salad but you don’t have tacos! Would love to see a more classic taco recipe.”
It is Taco Tuesday after all!
We make these baked beef tacos anytime we’re having a taco night because we love the homemade seasoning for the taco meat, the melted cheese, the extra crispy shells and our favorite part?
In this version of beef tacos you don’t end up with 8 small bowls of toppings and taco fillings all around the table! As a parent you don’t end up spending half of the allotted dinnertime making young children’s tacos before you can eat. The whole family can enjoy dinner together, a kid-friendly dinner at that.
If you’re looking for more easy Mexican Recipes look no further as we are making all your classic favorite recipes as well as new recipes you won’t find anywhere else!
How to make Oven Baked Tacos:
- Cook your ground beef with taco seasoning until cooked through.
- Stand up your taco shells in a baking dish.
- Spoon ground beef into taco shells.
- Add shredded cheese to taco shells.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees or until cheese is melted.
- Top with desired toppings (shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream and olives)
Create a free account to Save Recipes
What to serve with Oven Baked Tacos?
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon corn starch
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (optional – use more or less depending on your spice tolerance)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Mix ingredient together and store in cool, dry space in an airtight container.
Troubleshooting Tips for Baked Tacos:
- Use a pan just big enough to lean the shells against each other so they can stand upright.
- Standing taco shells also help keep the shells from falling over in bigger pans.
- Make sure you are using hard taco shells. If using soft tortillas (corn tortillas or flour tortillas) it will take much longer than 10 minutes for soft tortillas to crisp up. Make quesadillas if you have soft tortillas.
- You can make chicken tacos, pork tacos or turkey tacos by simply swapping out the ground beef for ground meat of your choice.
- Ground turkey and ground chicken are much leaner options so when we use ground turkey we also sweat a yellow onion in just a bit of vegetable oil to add more moisture to the mixture before baking.
- Preheat your oven before you start making your ground beef. The longer the taco filling sits in the pan before being added to your baking dish the more moisture it loses.
- If you have leftovers you can use it in Taco Salad or Taco Pizza for an easy leftover meal for next time.
- You can add any of your favorite taco toppings to these baked tacos, you don’t have to only use the ones we added.
- You can add some salsa to the beef mixture as well before baking but be careful as it may make your taco shells slightly soggy.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning or 1 packet
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 taco shells
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 vine tomato diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Add your ground beef to a large skillet on medium high heat and cook until no longer pink, breaking it apart (about 5-6 minutes).
- Whisk taco seasoning and water together and add to your pan, letting the liquid cook until mostly reduced, another 2-3 minutes.
- Place the taco shells into a baking dish standing them up against each other.
- Spoon the beef into the taco shells then add the cheddar cheese and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with lettuce, tomato and sour cream before serving.