Bacon Blue Cheese Potato Salad takes the classic potato salad and kicks it up a notch with the flavors of bacon and blue cheese. This will be a summer bbq favorite!
Bacon Blue Cheese Potato Salad has become one of our favorite potato salad recipes because with the addition of two such strong flavors you don’t feel like you’re eating pure carbs for the sake of it. We like to make different flavored sides and salads because when people come over they always expect something different from the normal backyard party.
This Bacon Blue Cheese Potato Salad came about because we were making bacon and blue Cheese burger covered in Jack Daniel’s sauce (this is so good!). With some extra bacon and blue cheese left over we mixed it into the salad. Okay if I am telling the truth I also added crispy thin onion rings. That may just be gilding the lily though for this recipe.
Looking for more summer salads?
- Creamy Bacon Pea Salad
- Italian Antipasto Pasta Salad
- Easy Greek Pasta Salad
- Mexican Avocado BLT Pasta Salad
- 10 Minute Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
Maybe some potato salads?
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Roasted Potato Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
- Yukon Gold and Green Onion Potato Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette
Tools Used in the making of this Bacon Blue Cheese Potato Salad:
Large Pot with Steamer Insert: Makes life so much easier to lift the potatoes out at once and let them cool without risking a burn trying to strain them into a colander.
Kosher Salt: In 99% of the recipes on this site, you’ll find Kosher salt used. It’s super inexpensive but the flavor is miles better than table salt and less overwhelmingly salty.
Duke’s Mayo: Best mayonnaise ever, and really does add so much to the potato salad. It is more readily available in the middle and east coast of the country, but hey Amazon Prime folks!
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup blue cheese dressing or an additional ¼ mayo and 2 tablespoons of blue cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 6 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Fill a large pot 2/3 of the way with room temperature/cold water and add in the potato chunks.
- Add ½ teaspoon Kosher salt.
- Turn the heat to high and cook the potatoes for 12-15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl add the remaining ½ teaspoon Kosher salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, blue cheese dressing, mayonnaise, celery, most of the bacon, most of the blue cheese and green onion.
- Stir to combine then add the potatoes and gently toss to combine.
- Garnish with blue cheese and bacon and serve.
May I ask, what is your preferred potatoes for this?
Also my husband is off starch right now, so thinking I will try Quickly steamed cauliflower instead, for him alone..and make one for the rest of us using potatoes. I hope you will reply what type.
As Idaho and Yukon/Red react differently
And I found at Kroger Stores, SMOKED PS Blue Cheese..my go to now when I make my B C Dressing.
Hi! You can use any you prefer, as for the cauliflower, it sounds delicious but I haven’t tested it so I don’t know how it will hold up!
Best tasting potato salad I’ve ever had perioddon’t usually like potato salad! Have made this 3to4times. Love Sabrinas recipes!!!!!!!
Yay!!! Thank you!
This salad can be served both warm and cold. It is very satisfying and self-sufficient, that is, it can easily serve as an independent dish, or as an appetizer served on a festive table. Thank you for reminding this recipe.
You’re welcome, Emma.
Best potato salad recipe I’ve ever eaten! I will say I am a blue cheese lover but this combination is hard to beat.
Thanks for the 5 stars, Joe. I’m glad to know how much you enjoyed it.
Bacon & blue cheese?? Yum! What a great idea for a potato salad. 🙂
You had me at bacon and blue cheese! Love this combination in a potato salad.
Right?! Those two are always winners for me too!
OMG!! I LOVE blue cheese!! This is totally my kind of salad!! Looks fantastic!
Ooo! I’m a blue cheese f-a-n! I can’t wait to try this potato salad – perfect with BBQ!
You’re going to love this!!
What a great twist on potato salad! I love the blue cheese in there!
OMG this is so perfect for summer bbqs
You can’t go wrong with bacon and blue cheese! This potato salad looks perfect for summer.
A perfect fit for summer!