Creamy Bacon Pea Salad with mayonnaise, bacon, cheddar and crunchy sweet peas. The perfect southern summer side dish in just five minutes!
CREAMY BACON PEA SALAD
Creamy Bacon Pea Salad is a southern staple and an indulgent, easy, craveable crazy sounding salad that you will go nuts for once you’ve tried it.
Creamy mayonnaise, salty bacon, sharp cheddar, and sweet, crunchy peas all meld together to make this side salad a must try that will become the hit of any get together. Once you serve this Creamy Bacon Pea Salad to guests, they will be asking you for the recipe every time! It is a perfect recipe for pot lucks, because it can feed a crowd and is so unique it’s not likely there will be any duplicates.
This salad is so easy it literally comes together in less than five minutes once your ingredients are all ready. It’s the perfect side dish to prepare in advance since it needs to chill at least an hour before serving, and you can allow the flavors to develop in the fridge while you get your other dishes prepared.
Make this recipe even easier by cooking your bacon in the oven. Lay bacon pieces in a single layer on a wire rack placed on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake for 18-20 minutes in a 400 degree oven until crispy. Then all you have to do is chop it into pieces and collect your other ingredients and you’re ready to make an amazing salad!
SIDE DELI SALAD RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING CREAMY BACON PEA SALAD
This Creamy Bacon Pea Salad recipe is such an easy side dish to make because it really is just a mix of a handful of ingredients. It is delicious when using thick cut bacon for the salad, some people love the convenience of premade bacon bits (made of actual bacon). It doesn’t get easier than that, and with pre-made bacon bits you can have this salad chilling in the fridge in less than 10 minutes.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE CREAMY BACON PEA SALAD
Bacon Bits: If you want to skip browning and chopping your own bacon, these bacon bits are a quick and easy swap.
Kitchen Knife: While there is minimal chopping in this recipe, this knife is inexpensive and amazing (second from the top on the left).
Cheese Grater: Your knuckles will thank you.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CREAMY BACON PEA SALAD
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CREAMY BACON PEA SALAD
- Peas: Frozen, thawed peas have a nice crunch, but if you prefer the texture of the canned peas they will also work. Rinse and drain the peas before using them in the salad. In the spring, fresh peas would also be delicious. Simply blanch them in boiling water for 1 minute and rinse with cold water.
- Egg: Hard boil 4 eggs and chop them into small ½ inch dice and combine gently with the rest of the ingredients.
- Layered Pea Salad: You can make a beautiful presentation with this salad by layering the ingredients. First, toss the peas and cheese with the mayonnaise, salt and pepper then add half the peas, half the onions, half the bacon then repeat. Top with a bit more cheese.
HOW TO STORE CREAMY BACON PEA SALAD
- Serve: Don’t leave this pea salad at room temperature for longer than 2 hours.
- Store: Cover the large bowl or put the Creamy Bacon Pea Salad into another airtight container to store it in the fridge. It will keep well for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Unfortunately the creamy dressing in this salad recipe won’t stay good in the freezer. It’s better just to make the recipe fresh.
- 2 pounds frozen peas
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound bacon cooked crisp and chopped
- Rinse the frozen peas in a colander and let drain for a few seconds while you make the rest of the salad.
- Into a large bowl add the cheese, red onion, mayonnaise, Kosher salt, black pepper and bacon.
- Top with the peas and stir together until fully combined.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.