Disney Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas dipped in melted homemade chocolate magic shell and covered in peanuts. The perfect slightly healthy treat!
Disney Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas have been a favorite of ours every time we would go to Disneyland. Rationally speaking they’re actually a pretty healthy treat, with just a thin coat of chocolate, the frozen banana has a creamy ice cream texture and the nuts are a healthy snack that will keep you fuller longer.
Like my Klondike Bar copycat, these Disney Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas benefit from my homemade magic chocolate shell that I make with bittersweet chocolate disks and coconut oil. The coconut oil helps the chocolate harden to a shatteringly thin and crisp texture. If you don’t want the hint of coconut flavor (its not very pronounced, I promise) you can also substitute vegetable shortening.
So I thought I would be fancy and do half covered in peanuts so it wasn’t just all one look….
Oh My! These turned out a *bit* inappropriate, so back to the kitchen for more chopped peanuts!
I thought it could be just me seeing something nefarious, but no, every friend I asked confirmed it was not safe for work. In fact it was better suited to a bachelorette party which is why it was featured in this Buzzfeed Roundup today! So nevermind all the photos I took of half dipped Disney Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas.
Want to use other toppings for the bananas? Here are some alternate options:
- Chopped M&Ms or Mini M&Ms.
- Sprinkles….so many kinds of sprinkles (I have over 60 types in my baking kit).
- Chocolate Chips.
- Alternate nuts like chopped almonds, cashews or pecans.
- Graham cracker crumbs and cereal marshmallows for a frozen banana s’mores pop.
- Peanut butter chips.
- Toffee bits.
- Drizzled chocolate of different varieties like white, milk or dark chocolate.
- Dip the banana in caramel sauce first, freeze again, then dip in chocolate (THIS IS AMAZING!).
- Freeze dried fruits like strawberries, raspberries, pineapple or mango.
- Crushed Potato Chips (it works, I promise).
- 6 bananas
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate disks or chips (I use bittersweet, Disney uses semisweet)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Leaving bananas unpeeled, cut off the bottom inch or so, just enough to have the banana be mostly straight for easy dipping.
- Into the cut side of the banana insert the popsicle stick leaving enough to comfortably hold (about 2 inches).
- peel off the banana skin.
- Freeze for an hour on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
- Add the chocolate disks and coconut oil to a cup.
- Microwave in 30 second increments until completely melted.
- Dip the frozen, peeled, banana into the melted chocolate and remove, letting all the excess chocolate drip back into the cup, holding it at an upright angle.
- If you let it drip upside down you are fighting gravity, the banana may slip off the popsicle stick and fall into the cup.
- Either roll in the chopped peanuts or sprinkle the peanuts over the banana.
- Put back onto the wax paper and repeat with the remaining bananas.
- But back in the freezer until ready to serve.
How long can they stay frozen?
They should last up to a week. Enjoy!
The calorie count seems really high for one serving. Are you sure it is correct?
The recipe maker takes into account the full amount of chocolate and nuts, however you aren’t actually eating that much because you are only dipping the banana in them (unless you are really drenching and covering the bananas… which I’m not opposed to haha)
I froze the bananas for an hour and dipped them in chocolate and froze them again and the bananas were muddy-what did I do wrong ??
Oh no! It might have been too much oil in the chocolate which would’ve caused it not to harden back up but stay more like a ganache. Hope this helps!
What kind of nuts do you use?
I used peanuts for this recipe. 🙂
I’ve never had the ones at Disney, but these were SO easy and my daughter loves them. So WIN!
These are seriously so simple and awesome! The perfect summer treat for my kids (and me)!
There’s something about chocolate and bananas that appeals to all ages!
I’ve not had a frozen banana in such a long time. Now I’m craving one! These look so good!
Once you see one, it kind of gets stuck in your head until you eat one!
Awesome! My kids would totally love making (and eating) these, I’ve got to make them!
It really is a favorite of the little ones!
Yum! Saving this recipe. My daughter would love this!
Okay, first, these look delicious and second, thank you for giving me a laugh on a day when I really needed it! Hey, it’s awesome to make Buzzfeed right? 🙂
Glad I could bring some humor to your day, haha. And yes, Buzzfeed has been an amazing supporter of the blog.
You crack me up with the ity bity picture for the “inappropirate” one 🙂 I’d still eat it cause I know it’s delicious! You’re killing it on all these copycat recipes. Soon I will seriously never need to leave my house. Just have groceries delivered in.
HAHAHAHA I love that you noticed that. At first I added it full size and was like…uhhh this won’t work. Then I just started resizing it more and more until it was almost not offensive. In full size it really does look shocking. I almost also overlayed a black modesty bar over it but restrained myself haha.
The middle part of your post was pretty funny. My daughter would love these I think I need to make some ASAP.
I had to include it, haha. I went back and forth and just had to…
What a fun summer treat! Thanks for sharing!
The only think inappropriate about these is the way they look going into my mouth when I am eating them! Love these and love that I can eat them without feeling guilty. Dark chocolate is good for you!
See? Health food! Haha.
Ohmygosh I’m laugh-crying at the half-peanut banana. DYING! These sound super awesome, even the inappropriate ones!
I know right? I was sitting at the computer giggling like an idiot as I added the photos.