FROZEN MUD PIE
This is an extra special Frozen Mud Pie, made completely from scratch with our easy homemade Chocolate Ice Cream and Coffee Ice Cream, coffee whipped cream topping, and Oreo Cookie crust. Ice cream pies are elegant but simple desserts perfect for summer dinners or alongside cakes for special occasions.
You can always use your favorite brand of store-bought ice cream to save time making homemade mud pie. If you use ice cream made at home, let it freeze for at least 24 hours so that it doesn’t melt as you soften it and it has plenty of time to set up. The whipped cream can also be made ahead of time, but it’s just so fluffy and delicious made fresh.
A Frozen Mud Pie can be kept for months in the freezer, but homemade ice cream always tastes best in the first few weeks. If you are making it for a party, make it the night before so that it has time to re-freeze and be firm enough to slice and hold shape. If you have extra time, delight chocolate lovers with another layer of chocolatey goodness by spreading a thick layer of Chocolate Ganache or Chocolate Fudge Sauce (that is cooled) over the ice cream filling.
HOMEMADE ICE CREAM FLAVORS
- Ice Cream: You want the ice cream soft enough to spread but you do not want it melted. Melting ice cream and then refreezing it will change the texture and makes the ice cream grainy.
- Crust: You don’t have to bake the chocolate sandwich cookie crust unless you like a crispy crust. If you want to bake this crust, bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool completely before assembling the Frozen Mud Pie.
- Garnish Ideas: Classic toppings for Frozen Mississippi Mud Pie are additional cookie crumbs, chocolate shavings, Whipped Cream, and chocolate sprinkles.
- Crust: Swap the chocolate cookie crumbs with another crispy cookie crumb crust. You could try buttery Shortbread Cookies, frosted animal cookies, chocolate cookie wafers, peanut butter sandwich cookies, or a Graham Cracker Crust.
- Grasshopper Mud Pie: Substitute mint chocolate chip ice cream for either the Coffee Ice Cream or Chocolate Ice Cream, or add an extra layer of ice cream (why not?!) for a Grasshopper Pie aka chocolate mint chip ice cream cake. Serve with chopped Andes Mints and make the crust with Thin Mints!
- Ice Cream Flavors: Swap in your favorite flavors of ice cream, mixing and matching to try new combinations. Other ice cream flavors that would taste good with either chocolate or coffee (or both) are Vanilla Ice Cream, salted caramel ice cream, butter pecan ice cream, and chocolate chip ice cream.
- Additional Toppings: More toppings you can try on Frozen Mud Pie are mini M&Ms, peanut butter cups, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, crushed peanuts or almonds, chocolate covered espresso beans, or chocolate sprinkles.
- Mix-Ins: Fold in your favorite candies, chocolate chips, crushed cookies, crushed peanuts, or chopped chocolate bars to your ice cream. You could spread 1 cup chocolate syrup or store-bought hot fudge topping evenly between ice cream layers.
- Mini Frozen Mud Pies: Press about 2 tablespoons cookie crust mixture into well greased or paper lined muffin tin cups, pressing up around the sides. Divide the chocolate ice cream evenly between cups, then coffee ice cream, and finish with whipped topping.
MORE TASTY EASY FROZEN TREATS
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: Allow ice cream pie to freeze for at least 4 hours or until completely firm before serving. Keep in freezer as much as possible, you don’t want it to melt and refreeze too many times.
- Freeze: Wrap Frozen Mud Pie tin tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, or transfer to an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months for best freshness.
Frozen Mud Pie
- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Frozen Mud Pie is an easy, quick, tasty ice cream dessert recipe made in minutes! Coffee ice cream, chocolate ice cream, and whipped cream in an Oreo crust!
- 1 1/2 cups Oreo Cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , melted
Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Stir together Oreo crumbs, sugar and butter until well mixed.
- Add crust mixture to a pie plate and press down evenly.
- Add in Chocolate Ice Cream and spread evenly.
- Add in Coffee Ice Cream and spread evenly.
- Mix heavy cream and coffee granules until granules are absorbed.
- Add heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a stand mixer and beat on high speed until it holds stiff peaks.
- Spread onto the pie.
Freeze for 4 hours before serving.
Add additional whipped cream, crushed Oreos or shaved chocolate over the top before serving.
Yield: 10 servings, Amount per serving: 395 calories, Calories: 395g, Carbohydrates: 40g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 26g, Saturated Fat: 14g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 69mg, Sodium: 162mg, Potassium: 208mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 30g, Vitamin A: 760g, Vitamin C: 1g, Calcium: 86g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.