S’mores Ice Cream is the perfect summertime treat! Easy, rich chocolate homemade ice cream recipe with chocolate chips, marshmallows, and graham crackers.
S’MORES ICE CREAM
Starting with our go-to easy trusty ice cream base, an ice cream maker, a bit of patience, and your favorite mix-ins, you can make virtually any flavor ice cream your heart desires! Normally we eat s’mores around the campfire but this chilly sweet summer treat can be enjoyed anytime and anywhere. Make a big batch of this S’mores Ice Cream for all your backyard barbecues, potlucks, and parties.
This homemade S’mores Ice Cream recipe starts with a custard base for a creamy texture and rich, decadent flavor. Ice cream custard can seem intimidating but if you follow the key tips, you’ll have velvety delicious ice cream every time.
For the ultimate summer indulgence, you can make this ice cream with our S’mores Bark that’s been chopped into bite-size pieces. With a little planning ahead, you could also make your own Homemade Marshmallows and cookies like Gingersnaps for the tastiest ice cream ever!
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, that’s perfectly okay! There are two no-churn ice cream methods at the bottom of this post, after the variations sections. They take a little more hands-on work than an ice cream maker but the shaken method is a fun activity for kids to do in the summer!
MORE TASTY EASY FROZEN TREATS!
Tips for Homemade Ice Cream
- A cold ice cream base and bowl before churning will ensure a creamy texture. Make sure you start with a frozen ice cream machine bowl and chill the custard completely before adding the mix-ins, heavy cream, and vanilla.
- You need to temper the egg yolks before adding them to the hot pan or they will scramble. To temper, you add a small amount of the warm milk mixture to the yolks while whisking so they get warmer without cooking. Then you add the warm yolk/milk mixture back to the pan to fully cook.
Make Ice Cream Base Ahead
You can make the chocolate ice cream base up to a week in advance. Prepare the chocolate custard, chilling and then adding the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Transfer to an airtight container and keep chilled in the refrigerator for up to one week.When you are ready to make your S’mores Ice Cream, fold in the graham crackers, mini marshmallows, and chocolate chips and add to your ice cream maker.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS FOR THIS RECIPE
- Toasted Marshmallows: Add campfire flair with toasty marshmallows by broiling the mini marshmallows on a baking sheet before adding them to the ice cream base. It only takes about 30-60 seconds, flipping halfway through and watching them so they don’t burn.
- Marshmallow Ice Cream: Instead of chocolate ice cream, make a marshmallow vanilla ice cream base. Reduce to ½ cup sugar, omit the cocoa powder, and stir in ½ cup mini marshmallows instead of the chocolate chips to the custard base.
- Sauce Swirls: Add a marshmallow cream swirl, Hot Fudge swirl, or Salted Caramel Sauce swirl to your S’mores Ice Cream. To make swirls in the ice cream, start with a small layer of ice cream in your container, and add alternate dollops of sauce between layers of ice cream. It will create ribbons as you scoop!
- Mix-Ins: Other mix-ins you can add are chopped nuts, mallow bits, graham cracker cereal, chopped cookies, candy, dark chocolate chips, or milk chocolate pieces.
No-Churn Ice Cream with Electric Mixer
- Items needed: Large metal mixing bowl frozen overnight and electric mixer with beater attachments.
- Prepare chocolate ice cream base including adding heavy cream and vanilla. Pour into frozen bowl and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Using electric mixer, beat ice cream mixture on high speed for 2-3 minutes and return to freezer.
- Continue to beat and freeze ice cream mixture every 30 minutes, until it begins to firm.
- Stir in the mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham crackers, then freeze for 30 minutes.
- Beat one last time and then return to freezer for at least 4 hours before serving.
Shaken Ice Cream
- Items needed: Large container with a secure lid, gallon size zipper plastic bag, rock salt, and enough ice cubes to fill container around filled bag.
- Prepare the chocolate ice cream base up and chill for 4 hours, then whisk in heavy cream and vanilla.
- Transfer chocolate custard mixture to gallon size plastic bag and seal well.
- Add ice cream mix bag to container and fill container with ice around the bag. Top with ¼ cup rock salt and secure lid tightly.
- Shake or roll container for at least 10 minutes, until ice cream texture has a firmer consistency.
- Stir in marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham crackers and transfer ice cream to air tight container.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
MORE DELICIOUS S’MORES RECIPES
HOW TO STORE ICE CREAM
- Serve: Once the ice cream finishes churning, transfer it to an airtight container to freeze. A bread pan loaf pan or metal bowl are best to keep it cold. Freeze for at least 3 hours to fully harden before serving.
- Freeze: Homemade S’mores Ice Cream is best within 1 month of making. Keep ice cream in an airtight container in the back of the freezer. Place plastic wrap or parchment paper into the top of the ice cream before covering with a lid to keep ice crystals from forming.
- 8 large egg yolks , lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar , divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup graham crackers , coarsely crushed
- In a medium bowl whisk egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar well.
- In a medium saucepan add the sugar, milk, salt, and cocoa powder on medium heat.
- Whisk non-stop and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low.
- Add ½ cup chocolate mixture in a very slow thin stream to the egg yolks while whisking quickly (do not stop whisking).
- Pour the egg/chocolate mixture back into the pot slowly while whisking constantly.
- Cook until mixture is thickened, about 8-10 minutes (do not let boil, or milk will taste scalded).
- Turn off heat and whisk in chocolate until smooth.
- Let cool completely, then refrigerate (covered) for 2 hours.
- Whisk heavy cream and vanilla extract into the chocolate mixture.
- Mix in mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham crackers.
- Add mixture to your ice cream maker (per machine instructions) then freeze for at least 3 hours to harden before serving.