S’mores Sheet Cake is an easy summer cake with chocolate cake on graham crackers topped with a layer of toasted marshmallows with an awesome microwave hack!
This is our favorite new addition to our Cake Recipes that uses our easy Chocolate Cake as a base recipe with marshmallow and graham cracker layers. It is the perfect for the summer or for when you really just want to feel like it’s summer. All the tasty goodness of s’mores made in your oven, no campfire needed!
S’MORES SHEET CAKE
S’mores are one of the most iconic campfire treats. Who doesn’t love a gooey toasted marshmallow nestled in between melty chocolate and crunchy vanilla graham crackers? This crowd pleasing cake adaptation is sure to be a hit at your next cookout or summer party.
This simple layer cake takes a classic chocolate sheet cake to the next level and is super easy. No one has to know it only took you 45 minutes to make this amazing S’mores Cake. This is the easiest homemade chocolate cake made with common pantry items like cocoa powder, flour, and brown sugar.
For the S’mores Cake marshmallow topping you just need a bag of jumbo marshmallows. You can also use mini marshmallows, just make sure to layer a lot of them on top of the cake for maximum gooey goodness! When you go to toast the marshmallow topping, be sure to keep a close eye on it so they don’t burn.
This easy S’mores Cake uses whole graham crackers for the crust. You can substitute this easy Graham Cracker Crust for a thick, chewy layer. No need to pre-bake the crust, just top with the cake batter as usual and bake. If you aren’t a fan of marshmallows, try Buttercream Frosting instead! One thing you’ll miss? The awesome microwave hack that makes this cake the best!
Serve your S’mores Cake just like it is or top with graham cracker crumbs and a Chocolate Ganache drizzle. Turn it into a delicious summertime S’mores sundae with a big scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream on top of the cake.
MORE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPES:
BEFORE MICROWAVE HACK:
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON S’MORES CAKE
- Graham Crackers: Instead of regular graham crackers, try chocolate graham crackers or cinnamon graham crackers. You could also make a Graham Cracker Crust with vanilla wafers, Oreos, or pretzels!
- Marshmallows: Try these Homemade Marshmallows instead of the store-bought kind! They are vanilla, gooey, chewy goodness!
- Cake Mix: Use a boxed cake mix and add 1 large egg and 1 cup melted butter to the listed ingredients. You can also use other cake mix recipes like Red Velvet or Yellow Cake.
- Graham Cracker Cake: Substitute a ½ cup of flour with crushed graham cracker crumbs for even more delicious graham cracker taste.
- Chocolate Chips: Stir in a ⅓ cup chocolate chips after the wet ingredients for chocolatey bursts! Try dark chocolate chips, semi sweet chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips.
Make mini S’mores Cakes and bake in a muffin pan. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Break graham crackers so they fit in the bottom, but don’t make the pieces too small. Divide the chocolate cake batter among the cupcake pan, filling each about 2/3 full. This recipe should make 18-24 cupcakes, so you will have extra for another batch. Baked for 18-22 minutes. Top with marshmallows and broil until golden brown and gooey.
MORE KID-FRIENDLY DESSERTS:
HOW TO STORE S’MORES CAKE
- Serve: This cake is best served warm and can be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days covered tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Store: You can refrigerate S’mores Cake covered tightly for up to 1 week. You will want to reheat it in the oven to soften the marshmallows.
- Freeze: Wrap your cake in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil before freezing for up to 2 months. Defrost your cake in the refrigerator overnight.
- 12 graham crackers , full rectangles
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 bag jumbo marshmallows , 10 ounces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with baking spray.
- Line bottom of prepared baking pan with graham crackers.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla and whisk until just combined.
- Pour cake batter gently over the graham crackers in the pan.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place marshmallows evenly over the top of the cake very carefully (baking pan is hot, it can burn you easily).
- Return cake to oven, and broil until marshmallows are just golden brown, about 30-45 seconds. Watch carefully because the marshmallows can burn quickly. You are not looking for the marshmallows to melt here, just slightly brown.
- Remove from oven and cool before serving.
- Microwave individual slices for about 15-20 seconds before serving to make the marshmallow topping gooey. You want to stop the microwave right when you start to see the marshmallow starting to inflate, if you wait to long the marshmallow topping will dry out.