Creamy homemade Strawberry Ice Cream recipe made with fresh strawberries, heavy cream, whole milk, egg yolk and sugar. Make with or without ice cream maker!
STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
This Strawberry Ice Cream recipe starts with a custard ice cream base so it is extra rich and creamy. The whole pound fresh berries gives intense strawberry flavor. The extra steps of preparing the custard and making homemade strawberry puree give you a decadent Strawberry Custard Ice Cream that would rival a gourmet ice cream shop!
Whether you have an ice cream machine or not, you can easily make this amazing homemade Strawberry Ice Cream. Simply follow the recipe card to make the vanilla ice cream custard base and strawberry puree. If you have an ice cream machine, continue to follow the recipe instructions. If not, check below the variations section for 2 ways to make this Strawberry Custard Ice Cream without an ice maker. The shaken rock salt ice cream method is great activity for kids during the summer!
Making homemade Strawberry Ice Cream means you get to adjust the flavors to make it exactly like you want it! Add chunks of fresh or frozen strawberries in the end for the most intense strawberry flavor. You can also try different flavor combinations like chocolate and strawberry or add mix-ins like nuts or candy.
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Tips
- You want to use heavy cream or whipping cream and whole milk because of the high fat content. The higher the fat content, the creamier and more decadent this Strawberry Ice Cream will be.
- For more intense vanilla flavor, soak whole vanilla beans in the heavy cream overnight. Use 1 teaspoon vanilla paste instead of vanilla extract.
- Be sure to read your ice cream maker instructions before you begin making ice cream. Some ice cream machines require you to freeze the bowl beforehand and you don’t want to skip this step. For best results, freeze the bowl at least a day ahead so that your ice cream freezes quickly.
- If adding mix-ins like nuts, candy, Hot Fudge or Salted Caramel Sauce, add halfway through once the ice cream base has begun to freeze.
- If you are adding boozy mix ins (rum or cognac would be delicious with strawberries), add 2 tablespoons max. Liquor can prevent the ice cream from freezing if you add too much.
MORE EASY SUMMER FRUIT DESSERTS
VARIATIONS ON STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
- Berries: You can make this recipe with any fresh or frozen berries that you like. Replace 1 cup of strawberries with other berries for a Mixed Berry Ice Cream. Depending on the season, try a Blueberry Ice Cream or Blackberry Ice Cream too.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry: Fold in chocolate chunks and frozen strawberry pieces halfway through the mixing process in the ice cream machine. Wait 10 minutes and while machine is mixing slowly drizzle in Chocolate Ganache.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream: Use a leftover batch of Cheesecake Bars or buy a small cheesecake from the grocery store. Cut cheesecake into ¼ inch pieces and add ½ cup cheesecake pieces to ice cream once it begins to freeze.
- Other Mix-Ins: Other delicious add ins for Strawberry Ice Cream are Shortbread Cookie pieces, salted pretzel twists, white chocolate chips, or fresh fruit pieces.
No Churn Strawberry Ice Cream
- Freeze a large metal bowl or glass mixing bowl overnight (at least 12 hours).
- Prepare the Strawberry Ice Cream mixture as usual.
- Pour strawberry mixture into frozen bowl and freeze in back of the freezer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, beat with electric mixer on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes then place back in freezer.
- Repeat mixing and freezing every 30 minutes until mixture is too stiff to mix. Freeze for 4 hours and serve.
Shaken Strawberry Ice Cream
- You need a container large enough to easily hold a gallon size plastic bag with plenty of room for ice and salt that has tightly sealed lid.
- Fill the container half way with ice cups and ¼ cup rock salt.
- Prepare the Strawberry Ice Cream base and pour into a gallon sized plastic bag. Remove any air before sealing tightly.
- Nestle bag with ice cream mixture into the ice and salt mixture and seal lid.
- Shake or roll the container for at least 10 minutes, until the ice cream forms.
- Remove bag from container and transfer ice cream to frozen bowl with a lid or other freezer safe airtight container and freeze.
MORE TASTY EASY FROZEN TREATS!
HOW TO STORE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
- Serve: Freezes your Strawberry Ice Cream for at least 4 hours, until firm, before serving. Cover ice cream container with plastic wrap and wipe down as much moisture on lid and container to reduce ice crystals. The best containers are shallow and flat, like a metal loaf plan or glass baking dish.
- Freeze: Freeze Strawberry Ice Cream for up to 2 months in an airtight container that is secured tightly to keep out moisture. Plastic wrap between lid and ice cream will prevent ice crystals. Store ice cream in the back of the freezer so the temperature stays consistent.
Strawberry Ice Cream
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 5 hours 45 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 4 large egg yolks , lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar , divided
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound strawberries , tops trimmed off
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs well with ¼ cup sugar
- In a medium saucepan add the ½ cup sugar, heavy cream, whole milk, vanilla extract and salt on medium heat.
Whisk nonstop and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low.
- Add ½ cup vanilla bean mixture in a very slow thin stream to the egg yolks while whisking quickly (do not stop whisking).
Pour the egg custard mixture into the pot slowly while whisking constantly.
Cook until mixture is thickened, about 8-10 minutes (do not let boil or milk will taste scalded).
Turn off heat and pour into a metal bowl or other heat proof bowl.
Let cool completely, then refrigerate (covered) for 2 hours.
- Add ½ the strawberries, ¼ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to a saucepan.
Mash and cook (stirring often) on medium heat until thickened and strawberries are broken down, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add cooked strawberries and rest of the fresh strawberries to a food processor and pulse until mostly smooth.
- Remove custard from refrigerator, stir in strawberries and add to ice cream machine (per machine instructions).
Freeze for at least 3 hours to harden before serving.
Yield: 12 servings, Amount per serving: 261 calories, Calories: 261g, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 124mg, Sodium: 85mg, Potassium: 148mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 21g, Vitamin A: 740g, Vitamin C: 23g, Calcium: 86g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.