Easy Pepper Steak is a delicious and juicy steak with red and green bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and a rich, thick sauce.
Pepper Steak is a classic Chinese Dish that you can easily make at home just as good as if you’d ordered takeout. For more at-home Chinese restaurant dishes, try Ground Sesame Chicken, Teriyaki Chicken, and Beef and Broccoli.
EASY PEPPER STEAK
This Pepper Steak recipe is wonderfully simple to make with beef strips cooked to juicy perfection along with flavorful bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes. It’s a classic Chinese American dish that you can make at home to get all of the flavor and less of the unhealthy ingredients.
The amazing thing about easy Chinese dishes like this one is that you can just serve the meat and veggies over rice and have a perfectly delicious and filling dinner. It’s quick, easy, and perfect to add to your weekly recipes. Serve the Pepper Steak Stir Fry over freshly cooked rice. It would taste great with Sticky White Rice or Brown Rice depending on your preference.
MORE EASY AT-HOME CHINESE FOOD
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR EASY PEPPER STEAK
- Flank steak: Flank steak is one of the most flavorful cuts of beef, but it can be somewhat tough. By cutting the pound of beef into thin strips against the grain, and cooking it in the flavorful sauce ingredients, it’s able to absorb the flavors and juices around it for a perfectly tender steak recipe.
- Peppers: Along with the steak, the recipe gets it’s name from the bell peppers. This recipe uses a combination of green and red bell peppers. The green has a slightly more bitter taste while the red balances that out with more sweet peppers. Cooked peppers turn out with the perfect tender-crisp texture and go perfectly with the juicy steak.
- Sauce: The combination of soy sauce, onion, and cornstarch makes the perfect savory and sticky sauce for this recipe. The beef broth acts as a cooking liquid to flavor and tenderize the beef before the sauce is added. Before finishing the recipe, the soy sauce is mixed with cornstarch to thicken and all cook together.
COOKING TIPS FOR EASY PEPPER STEAK
- Steak: Start by seasoning the steak with paprika, salt, and pepper. Add butter to the base of a large skillet or wok and put it over medium-high heat. Let the beef brown for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Then add in the garlic, and cook for another 30 seconds. Pour in the beef broth, and bring the beef mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium, then cover the pan. Keep it over medium heat for a 30 minute cook time.
- Vegetables: While the beef is simmering, slice the red and green peppers into small strips. Then cut half of a medium onion the same way. Add the bell peppers and onions to the pan and stir.
- Sauce: In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Pour the sauce into the pan and stir to coat the recipe ingredients. Continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes until the sauce is thickened. Add the tomatoes, and cook for 2 minutes. Then serve over rice.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON EASY PEPPER STEAK
- Sweet Pepper Steak: To give the recipe a sweet, teriyaki-style flavor, you can mix brown sugar into the sauce. 2 tablespoons of brown sugar should be plenty to get the rich, sweet flavor you’re after.
- Seasonings: There are a variety of other spices you can add to the Easy Pepper Steak recipe. Garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, ginger, cayenne, and red pepper flakes would all taste amazing.
- Veggies: You can add to the stir fry with other kinds of vegetables like broccoli, zucchini, sugar snap peas, and mushrooms.
CROCKPOT PEPPER STEAK RECIPE
- To make Slow Cooker Pepper Steak, simply whisk together the sauce ingredients and the beef broth in the slow cooker.
- Then season the steak according to the recipe and place it in the crock pot so it’s coated in liquid.
- Add the peppers and onion.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 5-6 hours.
- Add the tomatoes in the last 15 minutes of the cooking time.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH EASY PEPPER STEAK
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: Don’t leave this recipe at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: If you have any leftover Pepper Steak, you can transfer the steak and veggies to an airtight container to store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze Pepper Steak for up to 3 months. Reheat the dish in a large wok to serve.
- 1 pound flank steak , cut into 1/4" strips
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 green bell pepper , cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper , cut into strips
- 1/2 yellow onion , thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 vine tomatoes , cored and cut into 8 wedges each
- Season steak with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Add butter to a large skillet on high heat.
- Cook the beef on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add beef broth and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add in green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and onions and stir.
- Stir together water, soy sauce, and cornstarch and add to pot.
- Stir well and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Add tomatoes, stir gently, and cook for2 minutes then serve immediately over rice.