Shrimp Ceviche is the PERFECT appetizer, made with shrimp cooked in lemon and lime juice, mixed with tomato, cucumber, avocado, and spicy jalapeños, topped with cilantro and ready in just 30 minutes!
Shrimp is really popular on the blog including the three most popular shrimp recipes Easy Pad Thai, Classic Fried Shrimp, and Shrimp and Grits!
Shrimp Ceviche is a light and fresh shrimp salad made with cucumber, tomato, avocado, red onion, and spicy jalapeños topped with fresh cilantro and citrus juice. It’s the PERFECT appetizer for a summertime party because it requires minimal prep time and it’s served cold with crackers or tortilla chips.
When I serve this ceviche recipe as an appetizer, I like to use shrimp that’s bite-sized so it’s easier to eat on a cracker. I also put out extra lime wedges and cilantro so guests can add fresh lime juice to their plates if they want to.
HOW LONG SHOULD CEVICHE BE MARINATED
For this ceviche recipe we are marinating in lemon and lime juice for 10 minutes, or until the shrimp starts turning pink and is no longer opaque. We are also refrigerating the finished ceviche for another 20 minutes, giving us a total time of 30 minutes, just to make sure the shrimp is thoroughly cooked.
HOW LONG IS SHRIMP CEVICHE GOOD FOR?
As a general rule, I try to eat seafood as soon as possible, while it’s fresh. But ceviche will last in the refrigerator for 1-2 days, tightly sealed so it doesn’t dry out.
CAN YOU MAKE SHRIMP CEVICHE A DAY AHEAD?
Ceviche is best when made the day of. You can chop up your vegetables the day before (except for the avocado, that will turn brown if done too early). Then all you’ll have to do before serving this shrimp ceviche recipe is marinate the shrimp, and stir everything together.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
WHAT DO YOU EAT WITH SHRIMP CEVICHE?
Ceviche can be eaten with tortilla chips or crackers, similar to a salsa. You can also serve this shrimp ceviche recipe with a toasted baguette, or plantain chips.
MORE SHRIMP RECIPES
- Shrimp Cocktail
- Easy Shrimp Stir Fry
- Baked Shrimp Scampi
- Bacon Brown Sugar Garlic Shrimp
- Pesto Shrimp
- Creamy Shrimp Salad
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS SHRIMP CEVICHE RECIPE
- You can use pre-cooked or raw shrimp for this ceviche, but the citric acid from the citrus fruits does cook it so I like to start this recipe out with raw shrimp that’s as fresh as possible.
- If you want to use cooked shrimp for this recipe, just add the shrimp to some boiling water until pink, or put on a skewer and grill. Allow to cool, then add all of the ingredients at one time and toss together, including the lime and lemon juice.
- You can also make this ceviche dish with tilapia cut into small pieces instead of shrimp.
- If you don’t feel like you have enough lime or lemon juice, feel free to add more. You can always drain some of it later, and it’s important that there is enough to cook the shrimp.
- If you don’t like spicy ceviche, replace the jalapeno pepper in this recipe with bell peppers for a more mild flavor. Or if you want it spicy, you can add a few dashes of hot sauce.
- This recipe is naturally gluten free, dairy free, and low carb!
- Easy shrimp ceviche can be made with fruits or vegetables. Try pineapple, mandarin orange, or mango diced small. Or add a splash of pineapple juice in with the lemon and lime juice.
- Make sure the shrimp you buy is deveined already, because doing it yourself takes up a lot of time!
- You can add other veggies to ceviche, like celery, green onions, or corn.
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled and deveined (13-15 count)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 limes juiced and zested
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 vine tomato chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled and chopped
- 1/4 red onion minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper deveined and minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 2 avocadoes pitted and chopped
- Dice the shrimp into 1/2" chunks.
- Add the shrimp, salt, pepper, lime juice and lemon juice to a large glass bowl and let sit for 10 minutes until the shrimp turns pink.
- Toss gently with the remaining ingredients (including the zests) and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Are the shrimp cooked ?
The lime juice will actually cook them. Enjoy!
This recipe is a winner. I love ceviche and all the flavors in it 🙂
Thanks, Edyta! Thanks for the 5 stars.
This is absolutely amazing! Packed full of amazing flavors!
So glad you enjoyed it, Toni!
This looks delicious and these are such lovely summer flavours. The avocado goes so well with the shrimps. Yum!
Perfect for summer!
I love shrimp ceviche so much but I never thought about leaving the shrimp whole. This is a great idea!
This is so fresh and delicious! Bursting with flavor, love it!