Egg, Bacon and Cheese McMuffin made to serve a crowd with little effort with some easy prep tricks, you won’t miss the fast food version for even a second!
The tricks in for these Egg, Bacon and Cheese McMuffins for pre toasting the bread, making bacon circles and finishing the sandwiches off in the oven will have everyone happily eating at the same time.
On a side note, this week has been absolutely crazy. Between technical issues earlier in the week and an out of nowhere bug in the last 48 hours I can’t remember the last time I was more excited about a weekend off! I’m used to getting five recipes to you guys a week most weeks. This week today will make three!
Some notes on the Egg, Bacon and Cheese McMuffin:
- Cooking bacon in the oven means you can multitask, when the bacon is cooking you can prep and cook the rest of the ingredients.
- Cooking the bacon in the oven also ensures the pieces make a cute circle that will look uniform for all the sandwiches.
- Cooking the eggs until they are JUST set means the bottoms can be lifted with a spatula but the tops are still a bit soft.
- I layer the cheese on first because the eggs need “breathing room” to finish cooking and the cheese would act like a blanket.
- Toasting the bread for a few minutes before assembly means they’ll be slightly crispy by the time you’re done with the recipe. If you’d like non crispy English Muffins just skip the five minutes of toasting. The final oven time won’t crisp them up enough to be noticeable.
- You can of course use any cheese you want, including American, but a good sharp cheddar pretty much kicks butt here.
- I kind of cheated on the English Muffins here. I made my own (post coming soon) based on a recipe for Model Bakery’s English Muffins. You can order them to be delivered to you from their website or just use your favorite kind, but these muffins are amazing and huge. They’re tender, crispy and soft.
- 6 English Muffins
- 6 large eggs
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 slices thick cut bacon
- 4 tablespoons butter , divided
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- On a large cookie sheet, line with parchment paper and arrange the 12 bacon slices into 6 circles, with two pieces for each circle.
- Add the first piece of bacon in the shape of a 4-5" circle then layer the second one on top, add the tail of the second piece under the end of the first piece, so that when they cook they stick together.
- Put in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Slice 6 english muffins in half and spread 3 tablespoons of the butter on the cut sides, ½ a tablespoon on each half muffin.
- In the last five minutes of baking time for the bacon add the English muffins to the oven, cut side up.
- Slice the cheddar cheese thickly into six slices.
- In a large skillet melt the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Crack the eggs gently into the skillet, add salt and pepper.
- Cook until the eggs are JUST set.
- Take the English muffins out of the oven, layer with the cheese, egg, bacon and the top of the muffin.
- Remove the parchment paper from the cookie sheet carefully, add the sandwiches back onto the pan (wipe out any remaining oil with a paper towel).
- Bake for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.