Fudge Krispies are a classic, family, no-bake treat with rice cereal, melted chocolate, corn syrup, and butter. Easy enough to make today!
Table of Contents
Sabrina’s Fudge Krispies Recipe
This classic cereal bar treat is an old recipe that families have loved for years and years. It’s no wonder why. The crisp rice cereal makes a simple, crunchy, textured base that you can easily add a delicious chocolate mixture to for an amazing dessert.
There are some variations on the standard recipe that you can try with different flavors and mix-ins. This recipe keeps things pretty simple, though. It’s hard to go wrong with these milk chocolate crunchy bars, and they make an excellent starting point that you can add to if you want to experiment with the cereal bars.
Along with how delicious they are, Fudge Krispies are super easy and perfect if you need a dessert but don’t have time to bake. There’s no oven time or any complicated steps in this recipe. Just melt the chocolate chips, add powdered sugar and a few other ingredients to create a fudgy consistency. Then you stir in the crispy rice cereal and put it in a pan to chill.
- Chocolate Chips: The recipe calls for milk chocolate chips, but you can use semisweet or dark if you want a slightly less sweet flavor.
- Butter: The butter melts into the chocolate and gives it a creamier texture that you can more easily use to coat the rice Krispies.
- Corn Syrup: ½ cup corn syrup acts as an extra sweetener and helps hold the mixture together.
- Confectioners Sugar: Chocolate and confectioners sugar are key ingredients to most fudge recipes, sifting it and adding it to these bars gives the entire recipe a more fudge-like taste and consistency.
- Rice Krispies Cereal: The rest of the ingredients coat the cereal to give it a fantastic chocolatey taste, while the Rice Krispies give the recipe a solid, crunchy texture.
Kitchen Tools & Equipment
- Large Saucepan with Spatula: You’ll need a saucepan big enough to hold all of the chocolate plus 4 cups of Rice Krispies. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to stir and then smooth out the krispies once their done.
- Baking Dish and Cooking Spray: Use a 9×13-inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray to pour the hot Krispies into for cooling. This is the perfect rectangular shape to later cut your Krispies into squares.
- Measuring Cup and Spoons: Get out your trusty measuring cup and spoon set so you can measure all of your ingredients accurately.
- Knife: All you’ll need is a butter knife to cut the Fudge Krispies into squares.
How to Make Fudge Krispies
Time needed: 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Chocolate Mixture
Add the chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup to a saucepan. Then put it over low heat, and stir until the butter and chocolate melt. Combine it into a smooth mixture.
Once it’s smooth, remove the pan from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
Pour in the Rice Krispies cereal.
Use a wooden spoon to stir until the cereal mix is evenly coated in chocolate.
Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish, and spread it evenly. To make the treats easier to remove from the pan, you can first prep the dish with nonstick cooking spray, then add the chocolate Krispies to the prepared dish. Once you’ve spread the fudge Krispies into an even layer, chill in refrigerator for a couple hours until they’re firm.
Use a butter knife to slice them into 1 1/2-inch squares. This recipe should make 48 Fudge Krispies. Perfect for a party!
Can Fudge Krispies be made ahead?
Yes, you can easily make Fudge Krispies ahead of time. Simply prepare the recipe and keep them in the refrigerator for a day or two until you’re ready to serve them. This will make your day-of preparations so much easier, especially if you’re serving these at a party or with a complicated or time-consuming meal.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Avoid Using High Heat
- It is tempting to want to speed up this recipe, but be careful not to use high heat as the butter or chocolate could burn, or you could end up with very hard Fudge Krispies.
- Cover your Krispies
- Leaving your Fudge Krispies in the refrigerator or on the counter for too long will affect the texture of the treats. Cover them to help preserve the nice, crisp texture for you to enjoy until the very last square.
What to Pair With Fudge Krispies
Make these Krispies to sit alongside other desserts like cupcakes, cookies, candy, or other handheld treats at your next party. Enjoy them as an easy dessert following your next barbecue or picnic. They will pack nicely to take camping as a dessert for your cookout. They also would pair nicely wrapped up in plastic wrap and packed with a sandwich and sides for lunch at school or work.
How to Store
- Serve: Make sure to wait until the Fudge Krispies are chilled and firm before serving. Otherwise, you’ll have a chocolatey mess on your hands.
- Store: To keep them fresh, cover dish and store them in the fridge. They can stay good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Much longer than that, and they’ll start to get too tough.
- Freeze: You can also freeze some of the Fudge Krispies in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Ideas to Serve Fudge Krispies
Fudge Krispies can be served cut into squares as detailed in this recipe. However, you could also use a cookie cutter to cut them into other shapes like egg shapes for easter, tree shapes for Christmas, or even character shapes for your character-themed parties. Use these Krispies to fill a treat platter or basket for friends. Take them to work for a birthday or potluck. Wrap them up and gift them to a host or hostess, or as a thank you to a friend.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can freeze these treats for later. First, let them cool completely in the pan. Then cut them into squares. Wrap each square in parchment paper or wax paper so that they don’t stick to each other and put them in a gallon freezer bag. As long as you carefully seal the bag, they can stay good for 3 months.
If you’re making this for a party or want to have an extra batch to freeze, doubling the recipe is a great idea. Just make sure you use a larger saucepan so that all the ingredients will fit. Then divide the mixture evenly into two pans to cool.
- Combine chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup in medium-size saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla extract and sugar.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal, mixing lightly until well coated.
- Spread evenly in 13×9-inch pan.
- Chill until firm.
- Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Peanut Butter Fudge Krispies: If you want to add some peanut butter flavor to this recipe, you can mix ¼ cup creamy peanut butter in with the chocolate. Then coat the Rice Krispies in the chocolate peanut butter mixture.
- Chocolate Chips: If you don’t want milk chocolate, you can use dark or semisweet chocolate chips. You can also mix in white chocolate chips when you add the Rice Krispies. Then you’ll have white chocolate chip chunks throughout.
- Marshmallows: For a fun mix-in, try stirring mini marshmallow into the Fudge Krispies before you pour it into the pan.