Chocolate Rice Krispies are the best marshmallow treat recipe for your chocolatey cravings! Easy twist on classic Rice Krispies Treats using Cocoa Krispies.
CHOCOLATE RICE KRISPIES
These Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats are the easiest recipe you will find! With only 3 ingredients you get gooey, chocolatey marshmallow bars for the perfect kid-friendly summer treat that won’t leave a trail of melted chocolate aka parent-friendly too. These bars come together in less than 15 minutes and with a microwave instead of the stovetop, kid bakers of all ages can help make this easy dessert.
Chocolate Rice Krispies have just the right amount of chocolate without overpowering the buttery, marshmallow flavors that you love in Rice Krispies. Instead of chocolate chips and cocoa powder, this easy recipe uses chocolate rice cereal. There’s no melted chocolate in this recipe to worry about, so they are great for outdoor parties and picnics!
To keep these crispy treats a gluten-free and allergy friendly snack, especially important if you are serving at school events, make sure to use Cocoa Pebbles. Cocoa Krispies have malt in them which can affect someone sensitive to gluten. There are other brands of gluten-free chocolate rice cereals, you just have double check the label.
Are Cocoa Krispies not bringing you enough chocolate flavor? You can make double Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats with the instructions later in this post. This is more like the traditional Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat recipe, so be warned, on a hot day there may be some chocolatey fingerprints afterwards if you don’t have a napkins on hand.
Another easy way to get more chocolate flavor is to top your bars with Chocolate Ganache. For a harder chocolate topping, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips with coconut oil. The coconut oil will set the melted chocolate as it cools. If you have a little extra time, try making chocolate Homemade Marshmallows with cocoa powder for instead of store bought vanilla marshmallows.
MORE NO BAKE CEREAL BARS YOU NEED TO TRY!
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS CHOCOLATE RICE KRISPIES
- Cereal: Try other chocolate cereals like Cocoa Puffs, Chocolate Cheerios, Chocolate Frosted Flakes, or Chocolate Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
- Chocolate Chips: Allow the rice cereal and marshmallow mixture to cool a few minutes in the large saucepan. Fold in a ½ cup mini chocolate chips and then spread into the baking pan.
- Peanut Butter: Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies. Melt ½ cup peanut butter with the butter marshmallow mixture before adding the chocolate rice cereal.
- Sea Salt: Sea Salt flakes are an easy way to really change a dessert’s flavor. Sprinkle a ½ teaspoon large flake salt over your rice cereal bars after you press them in the pan.
- Marshmallows: Who doesn’t want even more marshmallow flavor? Fold in ½ cup mini marshmallows or mallow bits to the rice cereal marshmallow mixture about 5 minutes after mixing it.
- Microwave: Use the microwave to make this recipe even easier and kid-friendly. Melt the marshmallow and butter mixture for 3 minutes in the microwave, stirring a little more than halfway through.
Double Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Ingredients (in addition to recipe card):
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet or dark chocolate)
- In large saucepan or dutch oven, melt butter, cocoa powder, and marshmallows over medium heat stirring constantly.
- Add the chocolate chips to the pan, continuing to stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Fold in the Cocoa Pebbles rice cereal and mix until combined.
- Press into prepared baking dish and cool completely before cutting and serving.
MORE DELICIOUS BROWNIE AND BAR RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE RICE KRISPIES
- Serve: Cool bars for at least 1 hour before cutting and serving. These Chocolate Rice Krispie Bars are best at room temperature. Store covered in a cool, dry place for up to 5 days.
- Store: You can keep Chocolate Krispie Treats fresh for a week in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving. Store in an airtight container with parchment paper separating layers so they don’t stick together.
- Freeze: Cut bars and wrap individually in foil or parchment paper and place in a freezer safe bag. Freeze Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats for up to 2 months, bringing individual bars to room temperature whenever a craving hits!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
- In a dutch oven melt the butter on medium heat then add in the marshmallows and mix until completely melted.
- Mix in the Cocoa Krispies cereal until completely coated.
- Press the mixture into a 9x13 inch pan and let cool completely before serving.