These crunchy Cheerios Cereal Bars are the best breakfast on the go! Easy marshmallow cereal bars perfect for snacking, lunchboxes, and summertime treats!
CHEERIOS CEREAL BARS
Marshmallow cereal bars of all kinds have been around a while and are one of those classic snacks that never get old. For over 80 years, kids and adults of all ages have loved these sticky gooey chewy no-bake treats. This recipe is a wholesome, wholegrain take on the krispie treat using another well loved classic, Cheerios.
What sets this recipe apart is that this a Cheerios Cereal Bar recipe without peanut butter. Don’t get it twisted, peanut butter is delicious but these Cheerios Cereal Bars are meant to have classic krispie treat flavors. Plus leaving out the peanut butter keeps them healthier and lower in fat and cholesterol.
Don’t let the whole bag of marshmallows fool you, these Cheerios Cereal Bars are actually pretty healthy snacks. At about 100 calories, low fat, and no added sugar in the cereal, these are a snack or breakfast you can feel good about. You don’t have to share your secret, let the kids devour them thinking they are getting a sugary treat!
One of the best things about this Cheerios Cereal Bar recipe is that it starts with 3 basic ingredients, so you can easily make them your own. There are some suggestions in the variations section to give you ideas of what to add. And there are instructions on how to make peanut butter Cheerios Cereal Bars too!
You can make these Cheerios Cereal Bars even healthier by adding dried fruit and nuts, similar to a Granola Bar. Or indulge your sweet tooth by spreading the top with Chocolate Ganache. Allow the ganache to set, refrigerating for 30 minutes if the weather is too warm, before cutting.
These cereal bars can be made ahead of time for easy potluck or cook out snacks. They don’t need to be refrigerated so they travel well and make perfect snacks for road trips and camping. Since Cheerios are gluten free and this Cereal Bars recipe is made without peanut butter they are also allergy friendly bake sale treats!
MORE MARSHMALLOW CEREAL BAR RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHEERIOS CEREAL BARS
- Chocolate Chips: Once you stir the cereal into the marshmallow mixture, cool for 5 minutes then fold in your favorite chocolate chips. Don’t stir too much (the chocolate will start melting), and press into the pan. Top with more chocolate chips.
- Marshmallows: Reserve 1 cup of mini marshmallows and fold into the cereal mixture about 5 minutes after mixing, then press into the pan.
- Nuts: Give your Cheerios Cereal Bars some protein by mixing in 1 cup chopped peanuts, cashews, or slivered almonds with the cereal.
- Dried Fruit: Fold chopped dried fruit into your Cheerios Cereal Bars like dried strawberries, blueberries, bananas, or apples.
- Cheerios Flavors: Swap out the classic Cheerios for other flavors like Honey Nut Cheerios, Frosted Cheerios, or Chocolate Cheerios.
- Cereal: Don’t stop at Cheerios! Use other classic cereals like Raisin Bran, Rice Chex, Grape Nuts, or Special K Flakes instead.
- Peanut Butter and Honey: Instead of the butter and marshmallows, use honey and creamy peanut butter. Melt ¾ cup creamy peanut butter with ½ cup honey. Toss 3 cups cheerios in the warm honey mixture and press into a pan. Cut into squares when cooled.
MORE KID-FRIENDLY DESSERTS:
HOW TO STORE CHEERIOS CEREAL BARS
- Serve: These cereal bars are best at room temperature, stored covered in plastic wrap or in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
- Store: You don’t want to refrigerate marshmallow cereal bars like Cheerios Bars, they won’t be fresh or crunchy. Instead, keep them in an airtight container layered with parchment paper at room temperature.
- Freeze: You can keep Cheerios Cereal Bars in the freezer for up to 6 weeks in an airtight container. Bring Cereal Bars to room temperature before serving.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 6 cups Cheerios cereal
- In a dutch oven melt the butter on medium heat then add in the marshmallows and mix until completely melted.
- Mix in the Cheerios until completely coated.
- Press the mixture into a 9x13 inch pan and let cool completely before serving.