One Pot Greek Chicken and Rice is a quick weeknight meal with garlic, lemon, and super flavorful seasoned rice pilaf.
This One Pot Greek Chicken and Rice dish was the product of a mix of two recipes I love.
I’d been craving the dish and meant to pull out my rice cooker but I had literally no idea where my husband put it away (that drives me nuts by the way).
Want to make with Greek Chicken with white meat?
From a reader, Bryce, who made the recipe with boneless chicken breasts:
Just FYI for anyone in the future who was wondering if you could make this with boneless Chicken Breast–You absolutely can and it is deeeelicious! I followed the pan searing directions for the chicken but after removing them, I set them aside until 25 minutes into cooking the rice portion in the oven. After 25 minutes I added the chicken breast on top and continued cooking it for another 25 minutes. I made it for my neighbors in need, but also made it for us. We loved it and they did too! Thank you!
So I figured I would make a hybrid of the recipe with my Baked Chicken Brown Rice Vegetable Casserole, kind of like my Spanish Olives Chicken and Rice (One Pan!). So a quick series of adjustments and dinner was on the table in no time. Absolutely LOVED it.
With such an easy method, I plan on making a few different flavor variations of this recipe as we go into the fall season:
- One Pot Italian Chicken and Rice with tomato wedges, garlic, parmesan and basil.
- One Pot Teriyaki Chicken and Rice with snow peas and carrots.
- One Pot Jerk Chicken with Dirty Beans and Rice
Better Than Bouillon: I almost never buy boxes of broth because I keep the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon.
Cast Iron Skillet: This is my most used pan in my kitchen, heavy, keeps heat well and gives the BEST sear ever.
Chef’s Knife: This knife is one of the three most used tools in my kitchen (tongs and my pig tail flipper are the other two). I love it, I’ve had it for almost 10 years and it is as sharp today as the day I got it. (left column, second from the top). Mind you I love it this much even though I have a ridiculously expense knife set as well.
- 4-6 chicken thighs , bone in and skin on
- Kosher salt and pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 cups white rice , uncooked
- 1 tablespoon garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 lemons , zested and juiced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- parsley , minced for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the cast iron skillet on high heat.
- Season your chicken to taste with Kosher salt and black pepper.
- Add the chicken, skin side down and cook until browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Push the chicken to the side (or onto a plate).
- Add the olive oil to your cast iron skillet and heat on medium-high.
- Add in the onions and start to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the onions are mostly melted add in the lemon zest and garlic cloves. Cook for 30 seconds while stirring.
- Add in the uncooked rice and cook for a minute.
- Pour in the chicken stock and lemon juice, add in the oregano and put the chicken back in skin side up.
- Bake covered with foil for 45-50 minutes.
- Serve with additional lemons on the side in case people want more lemon flavor.