Spanish Olives Chicken and Rice made in a single cast iron skillet is a gorgeous meal made easy with delicious Spanish queen green olives, caramelized onions, garlic and saffron rice.
Spanish Olives Chicken and Rice is one of those “that looks super intimidating” dishes that you can make with almost no extra effort over your every day one pot meals. The rice only takes a pinch of saffron, the garlic only takes a couple of minutes in the pan with the onions and low and behold… gorgeous!
Today’s post is featuring Olives from Spain who has so graciously sponsored not only the post but a recent visit I took to San Fransisco to an event called Spain’s Great Match to mingle, and learn about food from Spain. I know, pinch me right?
I got to spend an afternoon learning about Olives from Spain. As a Californian we grow olives here too, mostly black olives, but we import more than three times the amount of olives we grow here domestically, including these amazing Queen Green Olives that I totally fell in love with at the event! They were dressed with julienned apples, honey and goat cheese and everyone I saw who tried it fawned over them. We tried a number of dishes but these were my favorite. We also learned that the olives are hand picked (serious love involved in doing that!) and that they’re the world’s largest producers of olives (by a pretty wide margin).
Fun fact, a green olive just hasn’t turned into a black olive yet. And most olives grown in Spain are used to make olive oil, but the most delicious ones make their way into jars for us to eat.
The flavor differences between the olives is pretty pronounced. Black ones are much smokier, but the green olives have a saltier, brinier flavor (perfect for stuffing with pimentos and blue cheese!). I’m team green olive all the way!
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 4-6 chicken thighs , bone in and skin on
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 heads garlic , peeled
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 cups white rice , uncooked
- 1 cup Spanish Queen Green Olives (smaller Spanish Green Olives are fine too)
- Parsley , minced for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add your saffron to your chicken broth.
- Heat the cast iron skillet on high heat.
- Season your chicken to taste with Kosher salt and black pepper.
- Add the chicken, skin side down and cook until browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Push the chicken to the side (or onto a plate).
- Add the olive oil to your cast iron skillet and heat on medium-high.
- Add in the onions and start to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the onions are mostly melted add in the garlic cloves and cook for 2-3 minutes or until browned.
- Add in the uncooked rice and cook for a minute.
- Pour in the chicken stock with the saffron in it.
- Add the green olives and put the chicken back in skin side up.
- Bake covered with foil for 45-50 minutes.