One Pot Mediterranean Chicken and Rice made with chicken thighs and turmeric seasoned rice baked in the oven until crispy and tender.
Like our favorite Baked Chicken Brown Rice Vegetable Casserole this dish is full of incredible tender chicken with an easy baked rice side in one pan.
One Pot Mediterranean Chicken and Rice
One Pot Baked Mediterranean Chicken and Rice is so full of flavor and EASY!
A couple of years ago I made a copycat version of the Halal Cart Chicken and Rice (Copycat) with all the flavors of this dish but 3 times the prep work. Instead of standing at the stovetop cooking the chicken all the way through, we brown the seasoned chicken thighs then let this oven do the rest of the hard work.
The best part of the recipe, the slightly crispy but still fluffy and creamy turmeric rice. Full of the chicken flavor, butter, onions and garlic, the rice is so flavorful you’ll find yourself going back for seconds and thirds.
Want to change things up in the dish?
- Use chicken breast in place of the thighs (bone in and skin on)
- Use boneless/skinless thighs (cook for ten fewer minutes)
- Add pieces of bell peppers and red onion to the rice to cook it along with the chicken.
- To make a meal closer to Halal Cart cut the chicken off the bone, add it to a pan with canola oil and brown in small chunks.
Want to make the Baked Mediterranean Chicken & Rice with white meat?
From a reader, Bryce, who made the One Pot Greek Chicken and Rice recipe with boneless chicken breasts:
Just FYI for anyone in the future who was wondering if you could make this with boneless Chicken Breast–You absolutely can and it is deeeelicious! I followed the pan searing directions for the chicken but after removing them, I set them aside until 25 minutes into cooking the rice portion in the oven. After 25 minutes I added the chicken breast on top and continued cooking it for another 25 minutes. I made it for my neighbors in need, but also made it for us. We loved it and they did too! Thank you!
Other versions of this chicken and rice casserole:
- One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Spanish Olives Chicken and Rice (One Pan!)
- One Pot Greek Chicken and Rice
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Tools Used in the making of this One Pot Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Recipe:
Better Than Bouillon: I almost never buy boxes of broth because I keep the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon.
Cast Iron Skillet: This is my most used pan in my kitchen, heavy, keeps heat well and gives the BEST sear ever.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 6 chicken thighs
FOR THE RICE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 cups white rice uncooked
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Parsley, feta cheese and kalamata olives for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the cast iron skillet on high heat with the olive oil.
- Season your chicken with the oregano, coriander, Kosher salt and black pepper.
- Add the chicken, skin side down and cook until browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Push the chicken to the side (or onto a plate).
- Add the butter to your cast iron skillet and heat on medium-high.
- Add in the onions and start to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the onions are mostly melted add in the garlic cloves and cook for 30 seconds while stirring.
- Add in the uncooked rice and cook for a minute.
- Pour in the chicken stock, add in the turmeric and cumin and put the chicken back in skin side up.
- Bake covered with foil for 45-50 minutes.