Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili with hominy, white beans, chicken and peppers is the perfect, easy white chicken chili of your dreams.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is a recipe I actually first tried from a friend many years ago (full disclosure she didn’t use the slow cooker). She was the first person I’d seen add hominy to her White Chicken Chili and the flavor was AMAZING.
Most people when making chilis stick to the more classic beans and peppers. Yes this chicken chili has white beans and canned diced green chilis, but the super simple addition of the canned hominy is a game changer for this recipe.
Tips for the perfect White Chicken Chili:
- I use chicken thighs because they hold up better in slow cooker cooking. You can certainly use white meat as well if you’d prefer.
- No prep! There is no prep at all for this recipe, no browning, etc.
- Secret weapon? Chicken Base! I use Better than Bouillon and the added flavors are AMAZING.
- If not using a base use chicken stock instead of broth. Buy unsalted so you control the salt levels of your soup.
- Make this into a slow cooker creamy white chicken chili by adding in cream cheese and sour cream.
- Top with minced fresh jalapeños for extra brightness and fresh flavors.
Looking for more Slow Cooker Soups?
- Ultimate Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
Tools used in the making of this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili:
3 Qt. Slow Cooker: The perfect size for side dishes for 10-12 people, this slow cooker is an absolute bargain and a workhorse.
Chicken Base: I almost never buy boxes of broth because I keep the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon.
Hominy: This sets the chili apart. You can use corn instead but the flavors of the hominy are creamy, earthy and not overly sweet like corn.
Diced Green Chiles: The perfect easy addition will add a lot of flavor, you won’t want to leave these out.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Course: Main Course, Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chicken base (totally optional but delicious!)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 can (25 oz) hominy drained
- 1 can (14 oz) white beans
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilis not drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Add all the ingredients to your 4 quart slow cooker.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Shred chicken before serving.
To make creamy add 1 package (8 ounces) of cream cheese in the last hour of cooking, then whisk well.
Top with freshly minced jalapeños, cilantro, chips, avocados or cheese.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 56 calories, Serving Size: 1 , Calories: 56g, Carbohydrates: 6g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 3mg, Sodium: 766mg, Potassium: 159mg, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 1.6g, Vitamin C: 1.8g, Calcium: 1.9g, Iron: 4.2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.