Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes made with potatoes, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans are sweet, crunchy, and the PERFECT side dish for your holiday table!
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Twice baked sweet potatoes are baked not just once, but twice to bring out absolutely all of the amazing flavor this side dish has to offer. It’s been a family tradition in my house for years because they’re so kid-friendly, and sometimes it’s fun to try holiday recipes other than your traditional mashed potatoes.
You can top these twice baked potatoes with mini marshmallows to make them taste like a candied yams, or add a few spoonfuls of sour cream to make the filling even more creamy.
Twice baked potatoes can also be made with russet potatoes. Mix the filling with some grated cheddar cheese or gruyere and top with chives or cooked bacon. If you use cheddar cheese and chives, don’t forget to top with sour cream at the end. It’s almost mandatory.
HOW DO YOU MAKE TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATOES
Twice baked sweet potatoes are literally baked twice. The first time is to soften the baked potatoes so you can scoop out the inside and mash them with other ingredients. The second time is after you add the mixture to the remaining potato skins and spread the potatoes out on a baking sheet, so the sugar on the top can melt and the top becomes toasted and slightly crispy.
CAN YOU MAKE TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATOES AHEAD?
You can definitely make twice baked potatoes ahead of time. Just follow the recipe until you add the mixture back to the potato skins, then wrap tightly and refrigerate. When you’re ready, place them on a baking sheet and cook according to the recipe until the tops look caramelized and slightly toasted.
CAN YOU FREEZE TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATOES?
Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and freeze for 2-3 months. When you’re ready, just add the twice baked potatoes to a baking sheet and bake at 375 degreed F for 20-25 minutes, or until baked potatoes are warmed through and golden brown on top.
MORE POTATO RECIPES TO TRY
- Easy Mashed Potatoes
- Ultimate Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Ultimate Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Create a free account to Save Recipes
TIPS FOR MAKING TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATOES.
- Make sure to preheat oven before baking the potatoes, or they may take more longer than the total time in the recipe to soften.
- If you don’t have a food processor to puree the potato mixture, you can mix everything together with a potato masher until well combined.
- Sweet potatoes or russets work best for twice baked potatoes because the skins are more firm. If you don’t have either of these, you can still make this dish but instead cut them like scalloped potatoes and sprinkle the other ingredients on top.
- Toast the pecans with a tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat to add some toasted nutty flavor to these twice baked potatoes.
- If they’re not looking toasted in the oven, turn on the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes same football shape for all is best
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar plus some for sprinkling
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugared pecans chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and wash, scrub and dry your sweet potatoes.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and cook them for 60-75 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Cut off the top ⅓ of the potato lengthwise and scoop out the insides leaving ¼ inch wall thickness of the sweet potato (scrape all you can out of 1 potato we will be discarding it's shell).
- Add the scooped out sweet potatoes with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, and butter to a food processor and combine until smooth.
- Put the mixture back into 4 potato shells, top with brown sugar and pecans and bake for 15-18 minutes.