Mashed Sweet Potatoes are sweet and creamy, made with only 4 ingredients and ready in under 45 minutes. Perfect for the holiday season!
I’m sure you’re busy preparing for the holidays, and these mashed sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish to go alongside Baked Mac and Cheese, Green Bean Casserole and Easy Corn Casserole (Just 5 Ingredients!).
Mashed sweet potatoes will make you question why you’ve been mashing russet potatoes as a side dish for your whole life. Classic Mashed Potatoes definitely have a place at the table, but there’s something about sweet potatoes on the holidays that just says family dinner time. These are sweet and creamy, plus, they’re so insanely easy to make, that you’re going to want to make them every week!
This mashed sweet potatoes recipe is a Thanksgiving staple, and your relatives are soon to start requesting them every year. The holiday just wouldn’t be the same without this classic side dish.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BOIL SWEET POTATOES TO MASH?
Sweet potatoes take between 15 and 20 minutes to soften once they’re in boiling water. If you’re mashing potatoes, sweet potatoes are really similar to regular russet potatoes, so you can basically use the same technique to cook and mash them.
DO YOU PEEL SWEET POTATOES BEFORE BOILING?
Yes, you want to peel the sweet potatoes before adding them to the boiling water. Sweet potato skins are edible, and if you choose to eat them you want to make sure you wash them thoroughly first. But for mashed potatoes, keep the skins out of the recipe to make them as creamy as possible.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW DO YOU MAKE MASHED SWEET POTATOES IN THE OVEN?
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Thoroughly wash sweet potatoes and poke a few holes in the skin with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and add to oven. Cook for 40-50 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and a fork pokes through easily.
- Remove potatoes from the oven. Remove skins from the potatoes and add to a large bowl. Use oven mitts because the potatoes will be hot!
- Add butter, milk, and maple syrup to bowl. Puree with electric hand mixer until everything is combined.
HOW DO YOU MAKE MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS?
You can add marshmallows to this side dish recipe if you want something closer to a sweet potato casserole. Spread the mashed potatoes in a baking dish and sprinkle mini marshmallows on top. Then broil in the oven for 1-2 minutes, or until marshmallows start to look toasted. You can stir some marshmallows into the potatoes before adding the topping, if you want some mixed in as well.
CAN YOU MAKE MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH CINNAMON?
You can easily add cinnamon to this recipe by adding ½ teaspoon when you’re pureeing the potatoes. You can also sprinkle another ¼ teaspoon on top of the potatoes before serving.
MORE SWEET POTATO RECIPES
- Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
- Candied Sweet Potatoes With Pecan Oat Crust
HOW TO STORE MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- Serve: Mashed Sweet Potatoes can be left at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: Once cooled, store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: To freeze the recipe, store cooled Mashed Sweet Potatoes in freezer safe containers or bags for up to 2 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat gently on the stove, adding milk if needed.
- 6 sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup butter , melted
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- Place a large pot of water on the stovetop and bring to to a boil before boiling the potato chunks for 15-20 minutes (until fork tender).
- Add the milk, butter and maple syrup and blend them until creamy with an immersion blender or in a classic blender.