Slow Cooker Baked Sweet Potatoes are a perfect, easy, holiday side dish your guests will love and it only takes a minute of prep work!
We love serving this during the holidays with Roasted Turkey, Green Bean Casserole and Macaroni and Cheese. Or if you’re all about starches, add Mashed Potatoes on the side too!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes are an easy sweet and savory side dish to add to your dinner table. With so many delicious ways to serve them, this will quickly become one of your go-to recipes.
Most people end up using up valuable oven space baking sweet potatoes when you could be multitasking with other recipes. Plus if you use your slow cooker (crockpot) you can keep the sweet potatoes warm in it so they are perfect for a buffet spread too.
It’s fall which means peak season for sweet potatoes has begun. Because you know I love my slow cooker recipes (and you do too!), it only seemed right to share one of the easiest ways to serve sweet potatoes using one.
In fact you know how much we love our crock pot. I have a whole list of delicious holiday options for you to make in your crockpot. I know most people aren’t as obsessed as me, but I have a closet full of crock pots.
- Ultimate Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Thanksgiving Dinner (for 2!) <— entire dinner for two folks!
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Carrots
Can you make sweet potatoes in the slow cooker/crock pot?
Absolutely and the best part is that you aren’t taking up any valuable oven space making it a great choice especially during holiday cooking.
How do you make sweet potatoes in a slow cooker?
First you’ll want to wash and scrub the sweet potatoes to get remove any residual dirt on the skin. Using a fork, poke holes all over it and then wrap the potatoes in foil. Place them in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
How do make sweet potatoes in the oven?
Use the same instructions as above but place them on a baking sheet and bake them in oven at 350 degrees for 1 – 1 ½ hours.
Many ways to enjoy Sweet Potatoes
- Once cooked and tender, cut the sweet potatoes open and season with salt and pepper. Top with butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar or try drizzling honey and cinnamon over it for a sweeter taste.
- Add a little texture with chopped pecans.
- Turn this side dish into a main dish by spooning your favorite meat over it. Try ground turkey or chicken and topping with cheese.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Candied Sweet Potatoes
- If you want to make mashed sweet potatoes using this recipe no need for them to be peeled, just cut the cooked sweet potatoes in half and scoop out the potato flesh into a dish.
- In a medium saucepan, warm up the butter and brown sugar mixture and pour over the sweet potatoes and mash using a masher or hand mixer.
- To make a sweet potato casserole, add a streusel topping and press mini marshmallows on top, place in the oven for 10-15 minutes. To toast the marshmallows, place them under a broiler for 1 minute at the end.
Are sweet potatoes healthier than white potatoes?
They both have their benefits, but sweet potatoes take the lead with providing more Vitamin A and C, having fewer calories and carbs and offering more fiber than its white potato counterpart.
Are sweet potatoes gluten free?
Yes. Gluten is a protein found in grains and since potatoes aren’t grains, they are gluten free.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup water
- Wash and scrub the sweet potato well and using a fork, poke holes all over each potato.
- Dip each potato in the water and wrap with foil (dipping in water before wrapping will help prevent sticking to the foil.)
- Put them in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Great tasting and so many ways to dress up! Love that it frees oven and in warmer weather don’t need oven! Use lots of your recipes. Thanks.
Hi Sabrina, I have a question on the 1 cup of water: Do you put the 1 cup of water in the crock pot, then the wrapped in foil sweet potatoes on top? I saw the ingredient listing of water but it was not in the instructions. I did it for 1 1/2 hrs. without the water and I smelled a burnish aroma, so I quickly added the 1 cup of water to the crock pot. FYI: I used high heat setting.
Love this. I’ve been wanting to try russet potatoes in the crockpot, for my family, but I also kinda like sweet potato better. I had heard of doing white potatoes in the slow cooker so I looked up if you could do it with sweet potato. That’s how I found this recipe and I’m so excited I did. I tried it out last night. I did both sweet potatoes and russets, and they both turned out awesome. I’ve never been able to make a good sweet potato until now, and it was so darn easy. The sweet potato was perfectly cooked, after eight hours on low. Very soft, and bright orange. Really smooth, and perfectly sweet. Absolutely perfect. My family loved the russets too but I think sweet potato is where it’s at lol
Yay! I’m so glad you found the site. 🙂
I will definitely try them but what you picture are not sweet poratoes which are lighter and more fiberous than yams which is what is pictured and what I prefer. Many times this mistake is made. Yams are what is usually meant when saying sweet potatoes. Just FYI.
Sweetpotatoes are the perfect dinner side! I love this recipe!
These were super tasty!! I’m making them in the slow cooker more often
So easy, right?! Happy to hear you enjoyed them!
These are my favorite slow cooker sweet potatoes! They come out perfect every time!
I’m so glad you love them!
Such a great easy hack for Thanksgiving – this will save so much space in the kitchen!
LOVE this sweet potato recipe! Perfect for the holidays when I need to free up some oven space.
Yes, makes juggling all the dishes so much easier.
we love sweet potatoes but I’ve never thought about cooking them in the slow cooker!! thanks so much!
You’re welcome, Cheryl!