Slow Cooker Baked Sweet Potatoes are a perfect, easy, holiday side dish your guests will love and it only takes a minute of prep work!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes are an easy sweet and savory side dish to add to your dinner table. With so many delicious ways to serve them, this will quickly become one of your go-to recipes.
Most people end up using up valuable oven space baking sweet potatoes when you could be multitasking with other recipes. Plus if you use your slow cooker (crockpot) you can keep the sweet potatoes warm in it so they are perfect for a buffet spread too.
It’s fall which means peak season for sweet potatoes has begun. Because you know I love my slow cooker recipes (and you do too!), it only seemed right to share one of the easiest ways to serve sweet potatoes using one.
In fact you know how much we love our crock pot. I have a whole list of delicious holiday options for you to make in your crockpot. I know most people aren’t as obsessed as me, but I have a closet full of crock pots.
- Ultimate Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Thanksgiving Dinner (for 2!) <— entire dinner for two folks!
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Carrots
Can you make sweet potatoes in the slow cooker/crock pot?
Absolutely and the best part is that you aren’t taking up any valuable oven space making it a great choice especially during holiday cooking.
How do you make sweet potatoes in a slow cooker?
First you’ll want to wash and scrub the sweet potatoes to get remove any residual dirt on the skin. Using a fork, poke holes all over it and then wrap the potatoes in foil. Place them in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
How do make sweet potatoes in the oven?
Use the same instructions as above but place them on a baking sheet and bake them in oven at 350 degrees for 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
Many ways to enjoy Sweet Potatoes
- Once cooked and tender, cut the sweet potatoes open and season with salt and pepper. Top with butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar or try drizzling honey and cinnamon over it for a sweeter taste.
- Add a little texture with chopped pecans.
- Turn this side dish into a main dish by spooning your favorite meat over it. Try ground turkey or chicken and topping with cheese.
Candied Sweet Potatoes
- If you want to make mashed sweet potatoes using this recipe no need for them to be peeled, just cut the cooked sweet potatoes in half and scoop out the potato flesh into a dish.
- In a medium saucepan, warm up the butter and brown sugar mixture and pour over the sweet potatoes and mash using a masher or hand mixer.
- To make a sweet potato casserole, add a streusel topping and press mini marshmallows on top, place in the oven for 10-15 minutes. To toast the marshmallows, place them under a broiler for 1 minute at the end.
Are sweet potatoes healthier than white potatoes?
They both have their benefits, but sweet potatoes take the lead with providing more Vitamin A and C, having fewer calories and carbs and offering more fiber than its white potato counterpart.
Are sweet potatoes gluten free?
Yes. Gluten is a protein found in grains and since potatoes aren’t grains, they are gluten free.
Slow Cooker Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 5 minutes
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Wash and scrub the sweet potato well and using a fork, poke holes all over it then wrap the potatoes in foil.
Put them in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: calories, Vitamin A: 2.4g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert, Inc.Save Recipe