Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole with just a handful of ingredients you’ll have a creamy sweet potato side dish with almost no effort and no oven space used!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole is the PERFECT Thanksgiving side dish.
Thanksgiving is a holiday probably more than any other where the oven space is NEVER enough. This recipe is made in a slow cooker so inexpensive I would argue it is even less expensive than the dish you’d normally serve your sweet potatoes in.
PLUS, it is pretty much entirely hands off. This Sweet Potato Casserole is a set it and forget it dish you can even serve WITHOUT mashing. Yes, thats right, if you want you can cook the chunks, stir once halfway through cooking then just add the topping and serve!
Can you make this dish with canned sweet potatoes? Yes, I suppose you could, but honestly the flavors aren’t going to be anywhere as fresh. PLUS, it is literally peel and chop instead of open the can and strain. No extra cooking time is needed at all.
Looking for more side dishes?
- How To Cook Spaghetti Squash (The Ultimate Guide)
- Slow Cooker Mushroom Rice
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Roasted Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots
Want More Thanksgiving Options?
- Crispy Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- Crispy Slow Cooker Turkey
- Slow Cooker Turkey with Gravy, Candied Sweet Potatoes & Green Peas
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Carrots
- Pumpkin Pecan Streusel Pie
Crockpot Candied Sweet Potatoes aren’t a difficult dish to make and there isn’t just one way to serve them. Here are a few alternative serving ideas:
- Serve in chunks and skip the puréeing. Top with brown sugar and pecans.
- Top with a streusel topping – you can use the one in the linked pie above.
- Top with marshmallows then brown under the broiler for 30 seconds (make sure slow cooker insert can take that heat) or use a small kitchen torch to brown.
Classic Baked Sweet Potato Casserole:
- Using the same ingredients, toss them together in a 9×13 pan and cook at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Top with brown sugar and pecans and serve.
And of course when planning your after Thanksgiving back to work lunch, don’t forget about the Turkey Moist Maker Sandwich.
Tools used in this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe:
3 Qt. Slow Cooker: The perfect size for side dishes for 10-12 people, this slow cooker is an absolute bargain and a workhorse.
Potato Masher: 1/2 whisk, 1/2 potato masher, I love this kitchen tool!
Immersion Blender: Make quick work of the sweet potatoes this blender is my go to for blending soups and mashed potatoes.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar divided
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Toss the sweet potatoes with the butter, half the brown sugar, Kosher salt, orange juice and vanilla extract in the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Either mash the potatoes or using an immersion blender to smooth the potatoes out.
Top with the rest of the brown sugar and pecans and serve.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 234 calories, Calories: 234g, Carbohydrates: 33g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 20mg, Sodium: 229mg, Potassium: 423mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 14g, Vitamin A: 326.7g, Vitamin C: 6.4g, Calcium: 4.7g, Iron: 4.8g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.