The only pie you’ll need on your Thanksgiving dessert table, delicious Pumpkin pie with dark brown sugar topped with a Rich Pecan Streusel topping.
Now that Halloween is officially over it is time foooooorrrr…. PUMPKIN! Haha, actually I made this pie for us to enjoy for our Halloween dinner and could’ve posted it Friday (and I considered doing it too) but I decided that this recipe should officially fall under Thanksgiving instead of getting roped into Halloween. Not all families sit down to traditional Halloween dinners like we do because not all parents make a tradition for every possible holiday (seriously, I have traditions for everything down to Flag Day).
This recipe at first glance can and probably will seem intimidating. Don’t be, it is a TOTAL fake out. I promise, no stand mixer even needed. The pie filling comes together as quickly as you can add the ingredients to the bowl and the streusel is the same. What looks like a giant laundry list is filled with mostly duplicate ingredients. So while the photos may look complicated and the recipe may look like “uhhh…not happening when I have 15 things to cook for Thanksgiving!” this is actually going to be a huge hit while being easy! I promise and c’mon, look at this topping! You can’t resist this… How easy? You mix the wet ingredients, then the dry. Add together and add to crust. Mix streusel ingredients and sprinkle on top. No whipping ingredients together in a stand mixer, no pre-baking the streusel or the crust. This pie is easy while making you look like a pro. And when your guests line up at the dessert table to pick what they want to eat they will be wooed by this beauty!
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pie crust (you only need enough for the bottom of the pan)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To a large bowl, add the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, and eggs and mix.
- In a second bowl, mix sugar, light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and ginger.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients.
- If you are using homemade pie crust add it to the bottom of the pie pan.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the pie crust.
- To make the streusel combine the ½ cup dark brown sugar, ½ cup old fashioned oats, ¾ cup chopped pecans, ¼ cup flour, ¼ cup butter, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Add the walnut streusel evenly over the pie filling.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until the middle of the pie is no longer jiggly when touched.