Pumpkin Pie is a classic fall favorite, with pumpkin puree, eggs, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, and more in just one bowl! Done in under an hour!
Pumpkin Pie is a rich, creamy dessert that has all of the crisp, savory flavors of autumn. Add a spoonful of whipping cream, snuggle up with a fuzzy blanket and enjoy a slice of pie.
If this is your first time making your own Pumpkin Pie, this is the perfect recipe for you. The steps are easy to follow, the prep is simple, the cook time is reasonable, and you end up with a rich classic Pumpkin Pie that’s perfect for family gatherings, Thanksgiving Dinners, or cozy get-togethers with friends.
The pie filling is really easy to make and, since I use a pre-made pie crust for this recipe, all you have to do to make the pie is to mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, evaporated milk, ground cinnamon, ginger, salt, and ground nutmeg. Then, you pour the Pumpkin Pie filling into the crust and put the crust in the pie pan. Smooth the pumpkin filling with a spatula and work out any bubbles before putting it into the oven and letting it cook. Once the crust is crunchy and golden brown, pull it out and let the pie cool on a wire rack.
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PIE
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line your pie plate with your pie crust.
- Whisk together pumpkin puree and eggs in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add evaporated milk, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and nutmeg whisking until thoroughly combined.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 35 to 40 more minutes.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack or baking sheet before serving.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON PUMPKIN PIE
- Toppings: When the pie is still warm from the oven, sprinkle brown sugar over the top. The heat of the pie filling will partially caramelize the sugar, giving you a delightfully crunchy, sweet flavor.
- Spice: Add a teaspoon ground cloves to the pumpkin filling to give it an even bolder, richer flavor. The cloves have a delicious flavor that goes really well with ground cinnamon and pumpkin.
- Gluten free: To make my recipe for classic Pumpkin Pie better for people with a gluten intolerance, all you need to do is select your pre-made pie crust carefully. Check the nutrition information for a list of ingredients and make sure that it only uses all-purpose flour substitutes, such as almond or buckwheat flour.
- Pumpkin: If canned pumpkin puree is not for you, you can use fresh pumpkin puree (my recipe is foolproof!). Make sure you puree it down in a food processor until there are few to no lump before mixing in the rest of the ingredients.
PUMPKIN PIE ORIGINS
As American as…Pumpkin Pie? There’s good evidence that Pumpkin Pie was made in what is now the United States as early as 1621 at Plymouth Plantation near Plymouth Rock. These original “pies” were really stewed pumpkin meat, milk, honey and a variety of spices sealed up inside a hollowed pumpkin rind.
Pumpkins are originally from North America and were introduced to Europe starting in the 1600s. Pumpkins quickly became a favorite ingredient for all sorts of dishes, including what we now know as Pumpkin Pie.
HOW LONG IS PUMPKIN PIE GOOD?
- Serve: Don’t leave your fresh Pumpkin Pie out for longer than 2 hours. After the 2 hour it must be refrigerated or it can grow bacteria that can make you sick. Don’t leave this pie out overnight.
- Store: Wrap your Pumpkin Pie leftovers in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and put them in the fridge.
- Freeze: Always let Pumpkin Pie cool down to room temperature before wrapping it up and storing it. If you seal it up in an airtight container, Pumpkin Pie will stay good for about 2 months. To thaw, let the pie sit in the fridge for a few hours before bringing it out to room temperature again.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line your pie plate with your unbaked pie crust.
- Whisk together pumpkin puree, sugar, eggs, evaporated milk, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl then pour it into the pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 350 degrees then bake for an additional 35-40 minutes.