Sweet Potato Pie is a classic Southern dessert perfect for Thanksgiving. The filling is made with sweet potato puree, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
If you’re looking for a change up to classic Pumpkin Pie this year, then Sweet Potato Pie is definitely the way to go. It’s just as seasonal of a Dessert with delicious spices, warm filling, and perfectly flaky pie crust. It is sure to be a crowd-pleaser and complete any holiday feast!
SWEET POTATO PIE
This Sweet Potato Pie recipe is ready in just an hour with simple and delicious ingredients. All you need is a prepared pie crust, sweet potato puree, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a few other pantry items to make the potato pie filling. When it is done, top the Sweet Potato Pie off with Ice Cream, Cool Whip, or a dollop of Whipped Cream to complete the perfect dessert.
Sweet Potato Pie is a classic during the holiday season. It’s a must-have thanksgiving dish that is tender and wonderfully sweet. If you haven’t tried it before, Sweet Potato Pie is fairly similar to pumpkin pie. It has the same creamy texture in the filling, and it is flavored with similar spices. The sweet potato flavor brings a wonderful earthy flavor that’s unique and unbelievably delicious!
Although it’s great for the holidays, this Sweet Potato Pie recipe is so easy that you don’t have to wait to make it just for Thanksgiving. The ingredients come together quickly for a simple dish with the wonderful flavors of fall. Our family loves enjoying this dish all through the fall and winter months. It’s just too good to only have once or twice a year!
MORE PIE RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING SWEET POTATO PIE
- Prep time: Preheat the oven temperature to 350 degrees, and line your pie plate with a pre-made pie crust.
- Homemade pie crust: Instead of using a pre-made crust, you can make your own fresh pie dough. You’ll need 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour, ½ tablespoon sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ cup cold butter, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, and ¼ cup ice water. Start by combining the dry ingredients and butter. Then add in the vinegar and the ice water. Mix them together, and roll out the dough into a circle.
- Sweet Potato mixture: Add the sweet potato puree, butter, granulated sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a medium bowl. Whisk the ingredients together until well combined. Then pour the mixture into the unbaked pie crust.
- How to make sweet potato puree: If you want to make your own sweet potato puree, start by baking the sweet potatoes. After they are cooked, let the potatoes cool and then peel them. Put the potato flesh in your food processor and pulse until it’s pureed.
- Bake: Bake the pie for 50-55 minutes until the sweet potato filling is set. To help ensure the top does not crack, bake the pie on the lower rack. Let the pie cool completely before you serve it.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SWEET POTATO PIE
- Sweetener: You can replace the white sugar in the Sweet Potato Pie recipe with brown sugar. Use the same amount of brown sugar as you would granulated sugar for the recipe.
- Spices: You can add more warm baking spices to the recipe like Pumpkin Pie Spice, ginger, allspice, cloves, and cardamom.
- Nuts: For some extra texture try adding pecans, almonds, walnuts, cashews, or hazelnuts to the top of the pie to give it a nice crunch.
MORE CLASSIC HOLIDAY DESSERTS
HOW TO STORE SWEET POTATO PIE
- Serve: Let the pie chill completely before you slice and serve it. Loosely cover the pie in tin foil to store it at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Store: You can also put the Sweet Potato Pie in the refrigerator covered in tin foil or plastic wrap. It will stay good for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: Cover the pie in tin foil to keep it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a pie plate with your pie crust.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the sweet potato puree, butter, sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely before serving.