Apple Crumble recipe made with fresh apples (or pie filling) with a crumble topping of oats, cinnamon, brown sugar and butter is the perfect pantry dessert!
Just like our Peach Crisp and Apple Crisp, this baked Fruit Dessert Recipe takes comfort food up a notch.
BEST APPLE CRUMBLE
The next time you are looking for an easy recipe for Apple Pie, you should definitely try this Apple Crumble. With just a few pantry ingredients like brown sugar and ground cinnamon plus fresh Granny Smith apples, you can have apple pie in less than hour and half the work.
This Apple Crumble recipe is the perfect balance between tart, cinnamon apple filling and a crunchy golden brown streusel-like topping. No need to worry about runny apple filling, this easy recipe uses flour to thicken the filling as the Apple Crumble bakes.
This is the best recipe if you love apples! Since there is no pie crust, you tons of apple filling with just the right amount of crumble topping. This Apple Crumble recipe uses granny smith apples, but you can use your favorite baking apples instead.
If it’s your first time making an apple dessert this is hands down the best Apple Crumble recipe. From step by step instructions to tips on what apples to use to variations to make Apple Crisp your own, you are sure you get the perfect dessert every time.
While Apple Crumble is of course delicious on its own, raise your hand if you like to sample a few spoonfuls right from the baking dish. But it tastes even more amazing with a big scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. Go all out and make an Apple Crumble sundae by topping the Vanilla Ice Cream with Salted Caramel Sauce and Whipped Cream too!
MORE APPLE DESSERT RECIPES
Can you make Apple Crumble ahead of time?
You can make Apple Crumble one or two days in advance without baking it. Prepare the apple filling and pour into your baking dish. Make the crumble topping and store separately until you are ready to bake.
If you’re in a hurry you can also make the recipe with apple pie filling, either canned or Homemade Apple Pie Filling. The crumble topping can be stored in the freezer for up to a month, so make extra for an even easier dessert next time!
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON APPLE CRUMBLE
- Apples: Other apples that are good for baking are Gala apples, Golden Delicious apples, Honeycrisp apples, Jonagold apples, and Pink Lady apples.
- Crumble Topping: To make this more like a streusel topping, you can leave out the rolled oats. You can also use pecans or almonds instead of the walnuts.
- Spices: Use apple pie spice instead of just cinnamon, or try adding a little bit of nutmeg or allspice to your filling or crumble.
- Gluten Free: Easily make Gluten Free Apple Crumble by substituting the flour with almond flour. You can also thicken the apple filling with cornstarch instead of flour.
- Keto: To make Keto Apple Crumble, follow the gluten free swaps for almond flour, replace the sugars with monkfruit or coconut sugar, and leave the oats out or add more walnuts instead.
Slow Cooker Apple Crumble
This recipe is easily adjusted for Crockpot Apple Crumble.
- Prepare apple filling and crumble topping according to the directions below.
- Pour apple filling in the slow cooker and cover with the crumble topping.
- Lay a kitchen towel or paper towels over the top of the crockpot and place on top (this collects the moisture).
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
DELICIOUS, CLASSIC FRUIT PIES
HOW TO STORE APPLE CRUMBLE
- Serve: Apple Crumble can be kept at room temperature for up to 4 hours, it will take about an hour to cool enough to store.
- Store: Store your Apple Crumble in the refrigerator covered tightly with plastic wrap or in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: Freeze Apple Crumble for up to 3 months. Cool completely before transferring to a sealed freezer safe container.
- 4 granny smith apples , peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups instant oats , pulsed in food processor until fine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into small pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with baking spray.
- In a large bowl toss the apples with the sugar, lemon juice, flour, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour into baking dish, and spread out into an even layer. Set aside.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, oats, salt and butter in a bowl using a pastry cutter until evenly crumbled.
- Sprinkle crumble topping over apples, pressing gently for an even, slightly flat topping (sprinkle with additional cinnamon for a garnish if desired).
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and crumble is golden brown.
What if you do not have a food processor?
You can also use a blender or coffee grinder if you have those or just grind them up by using a mortar and pestle.
This looks amazing! I love apple crumble! My favorite part is the topping of course but those apples are good too!
It’s so good, right?!
This was SO delicious!!! Best crumble ever! Thanks for this recipe!
You’re welcome, Eden.
Looks like I’ll be having some apple crumble tonight. And I’m not mad about it.
Sounds like a good night to me!
Can you use Canned apples?
Yes! I posted in the post about it too, you absolutely can, I’d use 1 1/2 to 2 cans.