Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies
Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies are the quintessential party food that everyone fights over even though they’re so easy to make! Just three ingredients plus I have five flavor add-in options for you!
Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies are the easiest and most popular holiday appetizer you’ll find at most tailgates/holiday parties/gameday parties and with good reason! With just three ingredients these Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies are guaranteed to be the hit of your event.
I know what you’re thinking, you’ve seen these Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies before right? Well we’ve been making these for years and over the years we’ve come up with five awesome variations to this classic recipe!
Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies take five:
- Add minced jalapenos or cayenne pepper to spice things up!
- Add some franks red hot sauce and honey to the brown sugar, just like in these amazing Chicken Fire Poppers.
- Sharp Cheddar!! Yes, just like in the Bacon Wrapped Tater Tot Bombs, cheddar adds an amazing flavor to these bites!
- Blue Cheese: Yes, like this Bacon Blue Cheese Tart I wrap a small cube of Blue Cheese in with the smokies and the flavor is awesome!
- Add some dates: Yes, a 1/4 of a date wrapped into each bundle and there is no having to choose between dates and smokies anymore.
Word of warning. These are going to come out of the oven covered in what can only be described as a deadly weapon. Please, please wait 2-3 minutes before touching them or use a spatula to remove them from the pan directly onto the plate. I know multiple people who have suffered sugar burns to fingers and tongues by grabbing one as soon as they could.
Remember molten sugar right out of the oven = burns.
Tools used in the making of these Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies:
Pig Tail Flipper: These make picking up the smokies out of the molten sugar a total breeze with compromising the bacon wrapping like a spatula might.
Silpat: Foil works, but this works even better by offering a bit of protection from the heat to the bottoms of these smokies. Plus this is an indispensable item in the kitchen if you bake, so if you have it already use it here too.
Baking Pan: Because of the nature of the topping you’ll have some liquid in the pan so use either a baking pan like this one or a jelly roll pan that has at least a small lip to it so you don’t get brown sugar on the bottom of your oven.
Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies
- 1 package Beef Smokies (or other mini hot dogs)
- 1 pound bacon, cut in half (so you have two short halves, not two long skinnier ones)
- 1 cup brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut bacon in half and wrap each strip around a little smokie sausage.
Roll in the brown sugar, packing on the sugar onto the ends.
If you want to help avoid a mess in the pan from the brown sugar line the pan with foil.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the bacon is crisp and the brown sugar is all bubbly.
Dinner, then Dessert, Inc. owns the copyright on all images and text and does not allow for its original recipes and pictures to be reproduced anywhere other than at this site unless authorization is given. If you enjoyed the recipe and would like to publish it on your own site, please re-write it in your own words, and link back to my site and recipe page. Read my disclosure and copyright policy. This post may contain affiliate links.