Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes perfectly combine sweet and salty with crispy bacon, tender sweet potatoes, brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
Bacon and potatoes are a classic combination. We have plenty of examples already on the blog like Cheddar Bacon Potato Wedges, and Bacon Ranch Potato Soup. This easy Appetizer Recipe puts a spin on potatoes and bacon by using sweet potatoes. Using sweet potatoes makes a nice, sweet flavor change that you have to try!
BACON WRAPPED SWEET POTATOES
Bacon-Wrapped Sweet Potato Bites are the perfect finger food for your next holiday party, potluck, game day, or family get-together. Let’s be honest, bacon-wrapped nibbles are essential to any great party. Whether that’s Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies, Bacon Water Chestnuts, or these Sweet Potatoes, no night is complete without some crispy, sizzling bacon.
In this recipe, the potatoes are cut into sweet potato cubes of about one-inch pieces. Each piece is then wrapped in a slice of bacon, so that you can enjoy each bite with bacon. The bacon crispy sweet potatoes are the ultimate sweet-savory nibbles that you and your guests won’t be able to resist!
Sweet Potatoes with Bacon are the perfect sweet and savory appetizer flavored to perfection with a teaspoon of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, and all rolled in brown sugar. The combination of potatoes with cinnamon and brown sugar with bacon crisps makes a wonderful blend of spicy, sweet, and salty taste. Each bite is an explosion of flavor in your mouth!
If you do serve Bacon Sweet Potatoes for a party, you can stick toothpicks through each cube to make them easier to pick up and eat. Put the Sweet Potato Bites out with your favorite dipping sauces on the side. BBQ Sauce, Cheese Sauce, or Honey Mustard would all make great dips for this recipe.
MORE POTATO RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING BACON WRAPPED SWEET POTATOES
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray your baking sheet with cooking spray to start. As long as you remember to use cooking spray on the rimmed baking sheet, you won’t have a problem with the Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes sticking to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bacon: Cut each bacon strip in half, so that the piece of bacon fits nicely around the potato cube. Once you wrap the bite with bacon, you can stick a toothpick through it to make sure the bacon won’t slide off the seasoned sweet potato.
- Cook time: After seasoning the sweet potato bites, wrapping them in bacon, and tossing them in brown sugar, all that’s left is to cook them in a preheated oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Check the Bacon Sweet Potatoes at 35 minutes. Use a fork to test if the bacon is crispy and the potatoes are tender. If not, cook for a few more minutes.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Instead of cutting the sweet potatoes into cubes, slice the potatoes in half and then into thirds to make the wedges. Season the potato wedges with nutmeg and cinnamon. You can either wrap the sweet potato wedges in bacon or sprinkle bacon over the top. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees instead of 350, and bake for 30-35 minutes.
You could also make baked bacon wrapped sweet potato fries. For this variation, just slice the potatoes even thinner, into a fry shape. You’ll also have to raise the oven temperature to 400 for fries. Bake the sweet potato fries for 20 minutes, then flip them and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
If you don’t want to use butter, you can toss the sweet potato cubes in olive oil, or coconut oil.
Experiment with the taste by using maple syrup in place of brown sugar. Maple syrup will give a deeper and more complex sweet flavor.
To add some heat to the recipe toss some chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper into the spice mixture. You could also just drizzle a little hot sauce over the top.
MORE BACON APPETIZER RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BACON WRAPPED SWEET POTATOES
- Serve: Don’t leave Bacon Sweet Potatoes at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: You can seal the potatoes in an airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Properly sealed, Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes will last well in the freezer for 1 month.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound bacon
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a sheet pan with vegetable oil spray.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together butter, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- Toss the potatoes into the butter mixture.
- Cut the bacon slices in half.
- Wrap each piece of sweet potato in bacon and roll in brown sugar, secure with toothpick.
- Place onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and the sweet potatoes are tender (this will vary if your cubes are not 1 inch).