Easy Banana Cake is a moist sheet cake with ripe bananas, dark brown sugar and sour cream topped with homemade cream cheese frosting.
Banana Bread is one of those classic baked goods we all love for breakfast, but what if it was a dessert? This Banana Cake is a Dessert Recipe that you can enjoy after a holiday meal or for the start of your day.
Rich, buttery Banana Cake has all the flavors of delicious banana bread, but is less dense and topped with an easy Cream Cheese Frosting. Banana Cake is a perfect summer dessert for backyard cookouts. Refrigerate a frosted Banana Cake for a couple hours before serving for a cool summer treat.
Ripe bananas are one of the best baking ingredients to have on hand! They make delicious desserts and keep baked goods recipes moist while adding a natural sweetness. You can even use ripe bananas in place of some oil for a healthier twist on many of your favorite sweet treats.
This is the best Banana Cake for potlucks, birthday parties, or just a weeknight dessert. Don’t worry about having to wait for the cake to cool down, it takes just 30 or so minutes and if you place it on a cooling rack or on your stovetop grill (this increases the airflow under it), you can be icing and serving this cake in no time. It is not recommended to cool the cake in the refrigerator as this affects the texture in an unpleasant way.
You can of course serve your Banana Cake for breakfast with or without the cream cheese frosting, especially for a holiday breakfast to feed a crowd. Make this Banana Cake a sweeter, more decadent dessert by drizzling your frosted cake with Salted Caramel Sauce and sprinkling with chopped pecans.
You can make Banana Cake ahead of time and freeze unfrosted for up to 3 months. Thaw your cake in the refrigerator overnight. You want to frost after you’ve thawed the cake so the cream cheese frosting is fresh and doesn’t collect moisture or freezer burn.
To know when Banana Cake is done, use the toothpick method. Stick a toothpick (or butterknife) into the center of your cake and if it comes out clean, then your cake is done. Cool your cake completely before frosting. The fastest way is to pop it in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
MORE DELICIOUS CAKES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BANANA CAKE
- Chocolate: Chocolate and banana is a no brainer. Add a handful of dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips to your cake batter for yummy chocolatey bites.
- Peanut Butter: Top your Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting or stir in peanut butter chips for another classic combo!
- Yogurt: Instead of sour cream, you can use greek yogurt to add tang and moisture to this Banana Cake.
- Bananas: Give your Banana Cake more banana flavor by adding sliced bananas to the topping of you cake after you frost it.
- Nuts: Stir in a half cup of pecans, almonds, or walnuts into the cake batter before baking to give your Banana Cake crunch.
- Banana Cake Cupcakes: Make Banana Cake Cupcakes by lining a muffin tin with cupcake liners and bake for 18-22 minutes.
- Banana Cake Bundt Cake: Pour Banana Cake batter into a greased bundt pan and bake for 55-65 minutes. Cover with foil after 30 minutes to keep from getting too browned.
MORE EASY BANANA RECIPES:
HOW TO STORE BANANA CAKE
- Serve: Unfrosted Banana Cake can be at room temperature for up to 3 days or 2 hours if frosted.
- Store: Keep Banana Cake in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- Freeze: Freeze Banana Cake without the cream cheese frosting for best results and up to 3 months. Cool completely before freezing in a sealed container.
- 2 cups very ripe bananas , (about 4 bananas) mashed
- 1 cup dark brown sugar , packed
- 3/4 sugar
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups Cream Cheese Frosting , (Homemade Recipe)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking pan with baking spray.
- Whisk together the bananas, dark brown sugar, sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil and eggs until smooth.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish, spread evenly and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting with Cream Cheese Frosting (Recipe).
Photos used in a previous version of this post.