Banana Crumb Muffins are the best easy banana muffin recipe! Tender cake with mashed bananas, topped with a cinnamon-spiced buttery crumb.
With a cinnamon spiced crumb topping and tender cake, these banana muffins are an instant favorite. The buttery streusel is so easy and addicting, you can put it on all of your classic baked goods and muffin recipes. From Blueberry Muffins to French Toast Bake to these Banana Muffins, a crumb topping turns every breakfast recipe into the best ever!
Perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast, these tasty Banana Crumb Muffins are ready in less than an hour. Clean up is a breeze with just two mixing bowls, no beaters or stand mixer needed. It’s easier to mix dry ingredients together in a small bowl before adding so the batter doesn’t get over-mixed. If you want make this a one bowl recipe, whisk in the dry ingredients individually, careful not to over-mix.
Banana Crumb Muffins are a great recipe for ripe bananas that take half the time of any quick bread. The tender, fluffy cake like muffin is made with common pantry ingredients and is with moistened with mashed bananas. If your bananas aren’t ripe enough but you don’t want to wait to make this recipe you can roast them.
How to Quickly Ripen Bananas:
If you’ve never heard of roasting bananas to ripen them, be prepared to have your mind blown. You’ll never have to worry about waiting for your bananas to ripen again. Plus, roasting bananas brings out more banana flavor and sweetness!
- Roast the bananas (don’t remove the peel) at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, until they are blackened.
- Cool the bananas completely before peeling.
These delicious banana muffins with a cinnamon sugar crumb topping go great with a cup of coffee and a little bit of butter. Banana Crumb Muffins are a go-to brunch recipe since they can be made up to 2 days in advance. Keep the muffins in a paper towel lined container to absorb moisture and keep the streusel from getting soggy.
More Tasty Muffin Recipes
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
Chocolate chips make the best ever Banana Crumb Muffins that even better. Stir in ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips before baking.
For more natural sweetness, fold in chopped fruit or berries to the muffin batter. Strawberries, apples, blueberries, and peaches all taste great with banana!
For a crunch like in Banana Bread Muffins, add ½ cup chopped walnuts. You can also add-in other nuts, shredded sweetened coconut, or peanut butter chips for more flavor.
Make these Banana Muffins extra healthy with whole wheat flour and swapping the oil with applesauce. Use the same measurements in a one-to-one healthy swap.
To make mini muffins, spray a 24 cup mini muffin tin or line with paper liners. Fill muffin cups ¾ full with batter and bake at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes.
More Easy Banana Recipes
How to Store Banana Crumb Muffins
- Serve: Keep your Banana Crumb Muffins at room temperature for up to 4 days in a paper towel lined plastic bag or container.
- Store: These Banana Crumb Muffins will stay fresh in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Store in an airtight container and bring to room temperature to serve.
- Freeze: Cool the muffins completely before freezing in a freezer safe bag for up to 3 months. To reheat easily, wrap individual muffins in aluminum foil before freezing. Pop foil wrapped muffin in oven until warm.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium bananas , mashed (about 1 ½ cups)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a muffin pan with baking spray or line with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 ½ cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a second bowl, mix together bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla and canola oil.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet until just combined.
- Using a ¼ cup measure, put the batter in the cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, ¼ cup flour, and cinnamon.
- Mix in tiny cubes of butter until mixture resembles a pea sized mixture. Crumble over muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until the cake springs back with lightly touched.
Photos used in a previous version of this post.