Banana Coffee Cake is a moist, buttery coffee cake meets banana bread. Easy coffee cake made with ripe bananas and topped with a pecan brown sugar streusel.
BANANA COFFEE CAKE
Imagine the best banana bread recipe ever, baked like Banana Cake, and then topped with a nutty sweet streusel. That’s exactly what this new coffee cake recipe is! This delicious Banana Coffee cake is moist, buttery, and packed with banana flavor in every bite.
The ripe bananas in this coffee cake recipe don’t just add flavor, they make your cake so moist it melts-in-your-mouth. Banana Coffee Cake is made extra rich with sour cream and a whole stick of butter! If you have it on hand, try using buttermilk instead of the sour cream.
Banana Coffee Cake is so easy because its made with common pantry items.
Ripen Bananas Fast
If you don’t have ripe bananas, use a quick hack to make them easy to mash and bring out even more banana flavor. Roast bananas with the peels on at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until they turn black. Allow the roasted bananas to cool before peeling and using in this Banana Coffee Cake recipe.
MORE TASTY COFFEE CAKE RECIPES
You can make Banana Coffee Cake ahead of time and have it ready to go for a special breakfast or brunch. Bake your coffee cake as usual and keep at room temperature for a day or two in advance. Since there is no flour in the streusel topping, you don’t have to worry about it getting moist or soggy.
This tasty sweet cake can be served for breakfast, brunch, or for dessert. For dessert, skip the streusel and frost with Cream Cheese Frosting or top with Whipped Cream. Make this cake even sweeter by drizzling Salted Caramel Sauce over your cake once it’s cooled.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BANANA COFFEE CAKE
- Cream Cheese: Swirl dollops of softened cream cheese gently into cake batter once you’ve poured it into the pan.
- Chocolate Chips: Add 1 cup dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips the streusel topping. You can add a chocolate chips streusel layer to the middle of the coffee cake chocolatey goodness all the way through.
- Nuts: Instead of pecans, use chopped walnuts or almonds. You can also replace the pecans in the topping with rolled oats for a nut-free streusel topping.
- Crumb Topping: Instead of the streusel, make a crumb topping with ¼ cup brown sugar, ⅓ tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons cold butter (cubed), and ¾ teaspoons ground cinnamon.
- Muffins: Make Banana Coffee Cake Muffins by baking in a muffin tin at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean with moist crumbs.
- Banana Bundt Cake: Bake your cake batter in a well greased bundt cake pan for 55-60 minutes. Add streusel topping to bottom of the pan and pour batter over it. Cool 20 minutes before flipping cake over to remove from the pan.
MORE EASY BANANA RECIPES:
HOW TO STORE BANANA COFFEE CAKE
- Serve: Coffee Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days, covered in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Store: Keep your Banana Coffee Cake fresh longer by refrigerating for up to 1 week in an airtight container. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Freeze: Cool your cake completely and then wrap tightly with plastic wrap or transfer to a sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months. Uncover and thaw at room temperature to serve.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs , beaten
- 1 cup ripe banana , mashed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup pecans , chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans , chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray springform pan with baking spray.
- Whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, banana, sour cream and vanilla extract in a large bowl together until smooth.
- Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder in a second bowl then add it to the wet mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Mix pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl; sprinkle over cake batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.