Strawberry Coffee Cake is moist, crumbly perfection! Buttery, sweet cake is topped with fresh strawberries and a sweet streusel topping!
It’s hard to improve on a classic recipe like Coffee Cake. The tender cake and crumbly topping just make the perfect combination. But, one way to experiment and add even more irresistible flavor is by mixing in fruit like fresh strawberry. This Strawberry Coffee Cake makes the perfect Breakfast recipe or Dessert.
STRAWBERRY COFFEE CAKE
This Coffee Cake recipe is perfect to serve for a big family breakfast or brunch with friends. Its buttery crumb base is made with simple cake ingredients, then that’s topped with a cinnamon brown sugar topping. The flavor combination of crunchy streusel, strawberries, and sweet cake makes it the ultimate treat that everyone is sure to love! Cut up squares to share or bake them in a muffin tin for an easily shareable treat.
You can make the Strawberry Coffee Cake even more decadent for a special occasion by adding delicious toppings like Whipped Cream and a Chocolate Fudge drizzle. You can also add a tangy contrast by using a piping bag or Ziploc with the corner cut to drizzle Cream Cheese Frosting over the top.
You can also serve Strawberry Coffee Cake for a more ordinary breakfast. This is the perfect dish to enjoy on the weekends, and there are often leftovers so you can have a slice of cake the next day too. There’s no actual coffee in coffee cake recipes. It gets its name because of how great the tender, sweet cake pairs with bitter coffee. So, enjoy this cake on a slow morning with your favorite coffee blend.
MORE BREAKFAST CAKE RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING STRAWBERRY COFFEE CAKE
- Prep time: Start the recipe by preheating your oven and using cooking spray to prep the springform pan. Cut the strawberries into rough pieces. If you’re using frozen strawberries you can put them in a food processor and pulse them to the same consistency.
- Crumb topping: Add the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon to a small mixing bowl. Cut in cold butter using a pastry blender. Once it’s in coarse crumbs, it’s finished. Set the crumb topping to the side while you prep the rest of the recipe.
- Cake batter: Beat the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Then add the vanilla extract and orange zest to the butter mixture. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour mixture. Alternate between adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the stand mixer. Continue mixing until the dry and wet ingredients are just combined.
- Assemble: Pour half the batter into the prepared baking dish. Then sprinkle the diced strawberries over the cake layer. Top the strawberry layer with the remaining cake batter, followed by strawberries. Finally, add the crumble topping over all of it.
- Bake: Put the cake in your preheated oven and bake for 50-55 minutes until the cake is golden brown and set.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON STRAWBERRY COFFEE CAKE
- Sour cream coffee cake: To make an extra moist sour cream coffee cake recipe just mix 1 cup sour cream into the cake batter.
- Gluten-free: To make a gluten-free Strawberry Coffee Cake, replace the all-purpose flour in the recipe with oat flour, almond flour, coconut flour, or another gluten-free substitute.
- Lemon Glaze: Try making a tangy lemon glaze to drizzle over your coffee cake. For the lemon glaze recipe, combine 2 cups powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Mix the lemon glaze together and add more sugar or lemon juice depending on the consistency you want. Drizzle the lemon glaze over the cake right before serving.
- Berries: Instead of just doing 2 cups strawberries try doing half strawberries and half of another fruit. 1 cup fresh blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, or cherries could all taste amazing.
- Coffee Cake Muffins: To make a more portable, sweet breakfast recipe cook the coffee cake batter in muffin tins.
MORE SHAREABLE BREAKFAST RECIPES
HOW TO STORE STRAWBERRY COFFEE CAKE
- Serve: Strawberry Coffee Cake will be good at room temperature for up to 2 days. To keep the cake fresh cover it in plastic wrap, and store it in a dry, cool place.
- Store: You can also cover the coffee cake to keep it in the refrigerator. It will stay good for 1 week.
- Freeze: If you want to bake the cake ahead or just keep the leftovers longer, put it in an airtight container to freeze for up to 3 months. Layer the individual slices with parchment paper so that they don’t freeze together, and let the cake thaw in the fridge before reheating.
Brown Sugar Crumble Topping:
- 1 cup brown sugar , packed
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , cold and cut into cubes
Strawberry Coffee Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups strawberries , roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat springform pan with baking spray.
- Make the streusel topping with brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Cut in the butter until it looks like crumbles then set the topping aside.
- To your stand mixer add the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add in the egg, vanilla extract, and orange zest.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add in dry ingredients and milk in batches, alternating them until just combined.
- Add half the batter to the springform pan.
- Add half the strawberries to the batter, sprinkling them over the batter.
- Add the rest of the batter then top with the rest of the strawberries.
- Add the brown sugar crumble and bake for 50-55 minutes until the cake is set.