Easy Banana Applesauce Bread is a tasty go-to healthy quick bread for the holidays. A super moist, flavorful lightened up Banana Bread with no mixer needed!
BANANA APPLESAUCE BREAD
When you have over-ripe bananas, it’s hard not to immediately to make them into Banana Bread recipe. Sure you could put them in a smoothie or make them into dairy free ice cream, but deep down what you really want is a slice of warm, rich, melt-in-your-mouth Banana Bread. This healthy Banana Bread will indulge that craving guilt free!
Now, this is not a site known for diet or particularly “good-for-you” recipes, especially when it comes to breakfast foods. But every once in a while, we create magic in the kitchen with a lightened up recipe that tastes just as good (if not better!) as the original.
You don’t have to sacrifice time or taste or your budget to get delicious Healthy Banana Applesauce Bread! It uses the same pantry ingredients as other banana bread recipes and you can swap a cored, pureed apple for the applesauce if you don’t have any on hand!
Healthy but Moist!
The key to getting the best Banana Applesauce Bread that doesn’t taste like health food is not over-mixing the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. To keep from over-mixing, sift your dry ingredients before adding so you only have to stir a handful of times to combine.
There are so many ways to make this low-fat Applesauce Banana Bread recipe even more healthy. Our Banana Applesauce Bread recipe uses regular all purpose flour instead of whole wheat, but you can easily swap them. Keep in mind if you use whole wheat flour your loaf will be denser and darker. For a sugar-free Banana Bread swap in honey, maple syrup, or a sugar substitute for the sugars.
OTHER DELICIOUS QUICK BREAD RECIPES
What to serve with this quick bread:
Banana Applesauce Bread is a great recipe to mix in with heavier holiday baking. Serve it with greek yogurt and Strawberry Jam for a healthy Christmas morning breakfast. Or since you are saving on calories and fat, serve a small slice with a scoop of Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream or frost your loaf with Cream Cheese Frosting!
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BANANA APPLESAUCE BREAD
- Nuts: Make Applesauce Banana Nut Bread by gently folding ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans to the bread batter. Toast the chopped walnuts or pecans for even more flavor.
- Chocolate Chips: Add in a ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips. Sprinkle the top with 2-3 tablespoons chocolate chips to get chocolate flavor all the way through!
- Mix-Ins: You can add-in up to ¾ cup total volume of mix-ins without overwhelming your bread batter. Try add-ins like shredded coconut, raisins, fresh berries, or chopped dried fruit like apricots or apples.
- Muffins: To make Banana Applesauce Muffins, bake in a lined (or well greased) muffin tin for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Whole Grain: Make this healthy Banana Bread recipe even more good for you by substituting the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. Add a ½ cup rolled oats or oat flour for more whole grain fiber.
- Sour Cream: You need to use an acid like sour cream, buttermilk, or greek yogurt to help the bread rise. If you use whole milk or non-dairy milk (like almond milk), add a teaspoon baking powder.
- Applesauce: Use any unsweetened applesauce flavor like cinnamon applesauce or strawberry applesauce, or use homemade applesauce. Try other fruit purees like pineapple puree, apricot puree, or peach puree, too!
OTHER GREAT BANANA BREADS
HOW TO STORE BANANA APPLESAUCE BREAD
- Serve: Keep Banana Applesauce Bread at room temperature up to 3 days in a cool, dry place. Store in a baggie or container with paper towels to absorb moisture.
- Store: Refrigerate Banana Applesauce Bread in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving for best taste.
- Freeze: Cool Banana Applesauce Bread loaf, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and store in a freezer safe bag. Freeze for up to 6 months. You can also freeze slices individually wrapped in plastic for easier serving.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 ripe bananas , mashed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray.
- Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, and bananas until smooth.
- Whisk in brown sugar, white sugar, and applesauce until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and whisk together until just combined then pour into loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean