Banana Bread Crumb Cake is the perfect moist breakfast treat great for the holidays or brunch with delicious banana flavor and a brown sugar crumb topping.
This Moist Banana Cake doubles as a sweet Breakfast or a Dessert Recipe. Similar to Coffee Cake, you can serve up this treat in the morning with a mug of coffee, or enjoy it with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream for an indulgent treat.
Banana Crumb Cake takes the flavors of Classic Banana Bread and makes them into the ultimate breakfast cake. Just like in moist banana bread, the mashed bananas in the batter add lots of moisture to the recipe for the most tender, fluffy banana cake recipe ever.
Banana Crumb Cake is the perfect recipe to make the next time you have ripe bananas you need to use up before they go bad. Along with the bananas, the recipe is made with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. They all come together in a quick batter, then it’s topped off with an amazing brown sugar crumble mixture.
Banana Bread Crumb Cake is the perfect easy recipe to serve for the holidays, a celebratory brunch, or any special occasion. It takes about an hour from start to finish, but most of that is just oven time. Take a few minutes to combine the cake batter and crumb mixture, then you can let the oven handle the rest while you relax or finish up any other last-minute tasks.
MORE CRUMB CAKES
- Prep time: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and prep a springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Using a springform pan is ideal because you won’t ruin the crumb topping by flipping the cake to get it out of the baking dish.
- Cake batter: Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients together, and set them to the side. In a separate bowl, add the peeled ripe bananas. Use a fork or a masher to mash the bananas until they’re liquified. Mix in the butter with the pureed bananas. Then add the granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract to the banana mixture. Mix until the cake batter is well combined. Pour in the milk and then add the flour mixture. Mix again until the flour is combined into the wet ingredients.
- Crumb topping: Add the brown sugar, cold butter, flour, and cinnamon to a small bowl. Cut the butter into the other ingredients until coarse crumb forms.
- Baking time: Pour the cake batter into the prepared springform pan, and add the layer of crumb mixture on top. Pop the dish in the oven. After 45 minutes of baking, use a toothpick to check if the cake is done. If the toothpick comes out with batter, put the Banana Crumb Cake back in the oven for 5 more minutes until it sets.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Berries: Try adding more fruit flavoring to go along with the bananas. Just mix any of your favorite berries like blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries in with the batter.
- Walnut oat crumble: To give a crunchy texture to the crumbly topping, you can whisk in chopped walnuts, and quick oats with the brown sugar mixture for a walnut oat crumble.
- Maple glaze icing: If you want some extra sweetness, you can top the Banana Bread Crumb Cake off with icing before serving. To make a maple glaze icing that’s perfect for a breakfast treat, whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar, ¼ teaspoons cinnamon, 1 tablespoon melted butter, ⅓ teaspoon vanilla, and ¼ cup maple syrup until creamy. You can use the icing instead of a crumb topping, or drizzle it over the crumb mixture.
MORE BANANA BAKED GOODS
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: Banana Crumb Cake can stay good at room temperature for up to 3 days. Cover the cool cake in plastic wrap or tin foil to keep in the moisture.
- Store: You could also cover the cake to keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week. Bring it to room temperature before serving.
- Freeze: For long-term storage, wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap then put it in a freezer bag or another airtight container, and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Unwrap it and thaw at room temperature before serving.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup butter , room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup brown sugar , packed
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , cold and cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a springform pan with baking spray
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas until they become liquified.
- Mix in butter until combined and then stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla until mixed well.
- Stir in milk and flour until combined.
- To prepare the crumb topping, add the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon to a small bowl. Mix well
- Cut in the butter until coarse crumbs form
- Pour the cake batter into the springform pan, and top with the brown sugar crumble. Bake for 45-50 minutes until the cake is set.