Sour Cream Banana Bread is the best ever melt-in-your-mouth, moist banana bread! Flavorful, easy no-mixer quick bread made with ripe bananas and sour cream.
SOUR CREAM BANANA BREAD
Quick breads are great recipes during the busy holiday season. They are made with pantry ingredients on hand, no need to to wait on them to rise, and they can be made by hand with no mixer. Making bread with produce like bananas, squash, or even zucchini is a great way to add moistness and flavor to these easy recipes!
This banana bread recipe is even melt-in-your-mouth soft and rich than a regular quick bread thanks to the addition of sour cream. Baking with sour cream moistens the crumb and adds a bit of tang, an inexpensive way to add a decadent layer of flavor to all your favorite baked good recipes.
Sour Cream Banana Bread is easy to adjust to what you have on hand, whether adding mix-ins or substituting ingredients. If you are out of sour cream, just swap in vanilla or plain yogurt for this Sour Cream Banana Bread. Add in nuts for a traditional banana bread recipe mix-in, or go vegan with flaxseed and applesauce. The possibilities are endless with a great recipe like this one as a foundation!
You can make Sour Cream Banana Bread ahead of time for an easy breakfast to pull out of the freezer the night before. Thaw your banana bread overnight and heat slices in the oven for a tasty, flavorful treat in less time than it takes to brew a pot of coffee. Serve warm with butter and a dusting of cinnamon brown sugar.
OTHER DELICIOUS QUICK BREAD RECIPES
A little jar of homemade Blueberry Jam and a loaf of Sour Cream Banana Bread is an easy, delicious edible gift you can make all year long! Wrap your loaf in festive plastic wrap and include our storing instructions in this post so they know how long to keep at room temperature, chilled, or frozen.
For a decadent fall dessert, Sour Cream Banana Bread can be served with Vanilla Ice Cream and a drizzle of Salted Caramel Sauce. Serve Sour Cream Banana Bread as a hearty, healthy breakfast by topping with peanut butter and banana slices with a side of greek yogurt. Store your banana bread sliced so it’s an easy, grab and go snack or breakfast for busy mornings!
VARIATIONS ON SOUR CREAM BANANA BREAD
- Chocolate Chips: Bananas and chocolate are delicious together! Gently fold in 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips.
- Pumpkin: Use 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree and 3/4 cup mashed banana to make Sour Cream Pumpkin Banana Bread. Add 1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice for the spices for more fall flavor!
- Streusel: Make a streusel for this Banana Bread with 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/2 cup pecans. Top the batter with the streusel topping or layer in the middle for a sweet surprise.
- Applesauce: For a healthier banana bread, replace the butter with unsweetened applesauce. You could use cinnamon applesauce, too!
- Sour Cream: Swap out the sour cream with greek yogurt, plain or vanilla yogurt, or buttermilk. Save some calories with low-fat yogurt, but we don’t recommend using fat-free yogurt.
- Dried Fruit: Fold in a 1/2 cup dried fruit or berries like cranberries, raisins, apples, or apricots for seasonal, fruity sweet bursts of flavor.
- Bundt Pan: For a Banana Bread Coffee Cake, bake in a non-stick bundt pan for 65-70 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Flour and grease the bundt pan well and allow to cool 15 minutes before inverting to remove.
- Muffins: Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with baking spray and divide batter evenly, 2/3 way full. Bake Sour Cream Banana Bread Muffins for 18-22 minutes, until golden and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
MORE HOLIDAY QUICK BREAD RECIPES
HOW TO STORE SOUR CREAM BANANA BREAD
- Serve: Sour Cream Banana Bread can be kept at room temperature up to 4 days. Keep in a cool, dry place covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Store: Wrap Sour Cream Banana Bread in plastic wrap or store in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 1 week.
- Freeze: Cool Sour Cream Banana Bread completely before wrapping in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil, or place wrapped loaf in freezer safe bag. Freeze loaf up to 6 months and thaw overnight in the refrigerator to serve.
Sour Cream Banana Bread
- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Course: Bread
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray.
In large bowl, stir mashed bananas, sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla, and sour cream.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Gently add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until just combined.
Pour into loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Yield: 10 servings, Amount per serving: 291 calories, Calories: 291g, Carbohydrates: 48g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Sodium: 195mg, Potassium: 263mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 25g, Vitamin A: 331g, Vitamin C: 3g, Calcium: 60g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.