Cheddar Beer Bread is the best, easiest homemade bread recipe for new cooks! Cheesy, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth bread from scratch with no mixer or yeast!
CHEDDAR BEER BREAD
Making delicious homemade bread has never been easier! This quick Cheddar Beer Bread is virtually mistake proof, but just in case we’ve got some tips so you get moist, tender, hearty cheese bread every time. You don’t need a mixer to make this easy bread, just one bowl and a whisk!
All you need for this tasty Cheddar Beer Bread recipe is a handful of common baking items, cheese, and a bottle of room temperature beer. You can use whatever beer you like best or substitute another carbonated beverage on hand, like ginger ale. No need to worry about alcohol in this bread though, it evaporates during the cooking leaving you with a moist, buttery bread.
If you’ve never had Cheddar Beer Bread, or other beer bread recipe, before then be prepared for a whole new bread to love. Cheddar Beer Bread is slightly crumbly and dense but still tender and practically melts in your mouth. There’s not bitter beer after taste, just light hints of the flavor beer you use.
Cheddar Beer Bread is a great bread alongside saucy dishes and stews, or instead of Cornbread at cookouts. Serve Cheddar Beer Bread with Beef Chili, Barbecue Ribs, or Pot Roast. You can serve Beer Bread as an appetizer too, topping with spreads and dips like Bacon Cheddar Ranch Dip or Easy Spinach Dip.
Tips for the Best Cheddar Beer Bread
- Be careful not to over-mix the bread dough. Over-mixing will make the bread even denser and chewy. You want to stir until just combined, the batter will be lumpy and have a shaggy appearance.
- Bake Cheddar Beer Bread in a loaf pan on top of an insulated baking sheet, or two baking sheets stacked on each other. This will create equal heat distribution under the pan and give you an even bake.
- Cool the loaf for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan and cutting. As bread cools, the steam evaporates and firms up the crumb and dough. If you cut it while hot, your bread will have a sticky, gummy texture. It’s hard to resist fresh baked bread but it’s worth it to have an airy, lighter slice.
- Make sure your beer is room temperature and pour it slowly into your dry ingredients to keep it from foaming and spilling over the edges. If the beer foams a lot, let it settle before attempting to mix.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHEDDAR BEER BREAD
VARIATIONS ON CHEDDAR BEER BREAD
- Bisquick: Substitute 3 cups Bisquick baking mix for the flour, salt, and baking powder for a 5-ingredient Cheddar Beer Bread! Mix and bake as usual.
- No Beer Bread: You can make Cheddar Beer Bread with hard cider, ginger beer, ginger ale, or seltzer water instead of beer.
- Onions: Cheddar and onion are a delicious combination. To get onion flavor, you can add diced scallions or chives to the bread dough or sprinkle the top with onion powder.
- Apple: Make a sweet and savory Apple Cheddar Beer Bread. Fold in 1 diced medium apple and 1 teaspoon cinnamon to the batter. Bake for about 10-15 minutes longer, checking for doneness at least 50 minutes.
- Jalapeño Cheddar: Who doesn’t love Jalapeño Cheddar Bread?! Add 1/4 cup diced pickled jalapeños to the dough. Top the loaf with sliced jalapeño and another 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese. You could also use diced green chiles.
- Cheese: Any kind of shredded cheese will work in this Cheese Beer Bread recipe. Try Monterey Jack cheese, pepper jack cheese, or smoked mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar.
- Muffins: For an even faster quick bread, bake Cheddar Beer Bread Muffins. Divide batter into a 12 cup muffin tin (lined or greased) and bake for 18-20 minutes. Brush with melted butter halfway through baking.
MORE MAIN DISHES TO SERVE WITH CHEDDAR BEER BREAD
HOW TO STORE CHEDDAR BEER BREAD
- Serve: Serve Cheddar Beer Bread warm and keep covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. To absorb moisture, line a sealed container with paper towels or store wrapped tightly in a cool, dry place.
- Store: You can keep Cheddar Beer Bread in the refrigerator for up to 1 week in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap. Warm bread in the microwave or bring to room temperature to serve.
- Freeze: Store Cheddar Beer Bread sliced or whole in the freezer. Wrap loaf tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag before freezing for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator and warm to serve.
Cheddar Beer Bread
- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Course: Bread
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 12 ounces beer , room temperature
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 9x5 loaf pan and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and beer in a large bowl.
- Gently fold in shredded cheese.
Place batter in the pan and let sit 20 minutes.
Bake for 35 minutes, then brush the butter on top of the bread and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Yield: 10 servings, Amount per serving: 226 calories, Calories: 226g, Carbohydrates: 32g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 18mg, Sodium: 306mg, Potassium: 182mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 183g, Calcium: 140g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.