This easy Banana Rum Cake is so moist and flavorful! Made with homemade banana cake, dark rum, and topped with buttery rum glaze. Cake Mix option included!
BANANA RUM CAKE
All you need is some ripe bananas, dark rum, and few pantry items to make a show stopping banana rum cake recipe I love from a cookbook called Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey by Jill O’Connor. The buttery rum glaze on this Banana Rum Cake a simple topping that brings out so much flavor and keeps your cake extra moist.
This Banana Rum Cake is full of rum flavor. You shouldn’t substitute light rum in this cake, the spiced flavor of dark rum works so much better. The alcohol in the rum cooks off during the baking process but the rum glaze does keep a bit of alcohol content. Boil the rum with the water and sugar if you want to reduce the alcohol content. There are also some non-alcoholic substitutes in this post.
If you want to tone down the rum flavor in Banana Rum Cake, skip the glaze frost your cake with Cream Cheese Frosting or drizzle it with Chocolate Ganache. Serve your Banana Rum Cake with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream, it’s like bananas foster taste without setting a pan on fire!
MORE BEAUTIFUL, TASTY CAKE RECIPES
While we have so many easy homemade cake recipes on this site, a box of cake mix does come in handy from time to time. With some adjustments you can get a delicious cake without having to measure out a bunch of ingredients. Here’s an easy cake mix hack for a flavorful, moist cake.
Adding bananas to your cake mix is a simple hack to not only get more flavor but makes this Banana Rum Cake almost practically melt-in-your-mouth. You can get a sweeter, deeper banana flavor if you roast them (instructions in Variations) that will make take this already incredible cake out of this world.
Box Mix Banana Rum Cake
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup dark rum
- 1 ½ cups mashed bananas
- 15.25 package yellow cake mix
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 10 cup bundt pan with baking spray.
- Whisk together the sour cream and eggs until smooth, then whisk in the rum and bananas.
- Add in the cake mix and baking soda until just combined then fold in the walnuts.
- Pour into the bundt pan and bake for 60-65 minutes then glaze with the rum glaze recipe below.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BANANA RUM CAKE
- Roasted Bananas: Place 3 unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees until completely black, about 20 minutes.
- Chocolate Chips: Chocolate and banana are a natural winner. Stir in a 1 cup dark chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips to your cake batter.
- Banana Apple: Add a cup of grated green apples (peeled) to your cake batter before baking. Serve with a side of warm Apple Pie Filling and Whipped Cream.
- Non-Alcoholic: If you don’t want to cook with rum, you can still get an incredibly moist cake by substituting apple juice or orange juice. If you want the rum flavor without the alcohol, use buttermilk for the rum and add a teaspoon rum extract.
- Cake Mix: You can use other favorite box cake mixes (or your favorite homemade Cake Recipes). Try a Chocolate Cake mix or a lemon boxed cake mix.
- Bundt Cake: Use a bundt pan to make this cake even more special. Grease a bundt pan very well, bake for 50-55 minutes, and cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Cupcakes: Make individual Banana Rum Cakes by baking in muffin tin. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill cups 2/3 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes and frost with Buttercream Frosting for a kid-friendly topping.
MORE EASY SUMMER DESSERTS
HOW TO STORE BANANA RUM CAKE
- Serve: Cover your Banana Rum Cake with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and keep at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Store: You can refrigerate this Banana Rum Cake for about a week. The glaze will harden a bit, so reheat a slice in the microwave or leave at room temperature until the glaze softens.
- Freeze: Freeze your Banana Rum Cake tightly covered in plastic wrap or in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter before serving.
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter , softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar , packed
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups banana , mashed (very ripe)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts , chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
Banana Rum Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 10-cup bundt pan with baking spray.
- To your stand mixer add the butter and sugar on high speed and cream it until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the brown sugar and beat for another 30 seconds.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time until well combined.
- Lower speed to medium and add in the sour cream, banana, vanilla and rum until well combined.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and add it in small batches on low speed until just combined.
- Fold in the walnuts with a spatula and pour the batter into your bundt pan.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Add all the ingredients to a medium sauce pan and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, then let cool while cake is baking.
- Let cool for 15 minutes then poke holes into the bottom of the cake with a fork, and pour in the glaze ⅓ at a time waiting for it to soak all the way in before you pour the next part in.