Easy Strawberry Shortcakes with freshly made sweetened biscuits, homemade whipped cream and lightly sweetened strawberries in less than an hour.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake
Easy Strawberry Shortcakes are the most exciting part of strawberry season to me. Yes, there’s always the strawberry pie (coming soon!) but the strawberry shortcake? This is what I order anytime we’re at the Cheesecake Factory (I know, I know but cheesecake isn’t all THAT good).
The biscuit dough is make in the food processor so it isn’t tough, with just enough sugar to make it sweet. The top is sprinkled with sugar crystals which totally make this dish. They’re crunchy and sweet and when added to the super tender biscuits, they add the PERFECT texture.
The filling is simple, a slightly sweetened pile of strawberries topped with a classic whipped cream. The magic is all in the biscuit recipe. You’re going to love how easy these strawberry shortcakes are to make!
How to shape drop biscuits:
I “shaped” these by actually using a medium cookie scoop. When using a spoon there will be smaller spikes and unevenness in the shape of the biscuits, while the ice cream scoop allows for a smooth texture. Simply sprinkle on the sugar crystals before baking.
How to pick good strawberries:
- buy local/organic berries or better yet, get them from a farmers market since they would’ve been the freshest.
- Avoid white/green coloring, those are unripe and picked too early.
- The deeper the red more flavor.
- Larger strawberries don’t necessarily mean they are better
- Check the boxes if it looks like maybe a strawberry or two was removed from the package it is likely old. Produce employees routinely pick off moldy strawberries and leave the rest of the package (Check the weight to see if this happened if you are suspicious).
- How firm are they? Fresh strawberries are firm and look juicy. If they look wrinkly or slightly soft, they’re old.
Tools Used in the making of these Easy Strawberry Shortcakes:
Sheet Pan: High quality, low in price and won’t warp at the higher temperatures.
Silicone Baking Mat: Protects the bottoms of the biscuits from sticking or burning.
Sugar Crystals: The crispy topping is made with this and it takes the dish over the top!
Easy Strawberry Shortcake
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Add the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar baking powder, salt and butter into a food processor and pulse until the butter is in pea sized crumbles.
Add in the milk, pulsing until the dough comes together.
Bake for 12-15 minutes.
While the biscuits are baking, add the remaining two tablespoons of sugar to the bowl with the strawberries and stir together.
Add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar and whip for an additional 15-20 seconds until stiff peaks form.
Once the biscuits are cooled, split them in half, top with strawberries and whipped cream (Using a spoon or a pastry bag with a #1 tip), then top with the biscuit top.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: calories
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.Save Recipe