New York Cheesecake is the PERFECT sweet, creamy dessert made from cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and vanilla, baked into a graham cracker crust.
Create new holiday traditions and celebrate with a super rich New York Cheesecake with a rich Graham Cracker Crust topped with fresh Easy Strawberry Topping. This easy recipe is the EXACT one I’ve been making for over 10 years.
New York Cheesecake is creamy and indulgent, with a sweet cream cheese and sour cream filling over a graham cracker crust. This is definitely a popular all-time favorite dessert, and it’s the PERFECT cheesecake for the holidays, and a go-to for birthdays.
The recipe calls for vanilla extract, but you can also go the untraditional route by using almond extract, which goes especially well with mocha or chocolate cheesecakes.
Use a non-stick springform pan lined with parchment paper to make it extra easy to remove from the pan when serving.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
New York Cheesecake is typically more dense, with a creamier smoother texture and a lightly browned exterior. This cheesecake recipe uses a mixture of sour cream and cream cheese to create the rich texture and tangy flavor.
New York style cheesecake can be made ahead, tightly wrapped, and stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
The best part of the NY style is that with a denser cheesecake you don’t have any issues with letting the cheesecake sit in the fridge, the dense structure benefits from the extra time because it gets more time to firm up after baking.
Choose whatever your favorite fruit is to make a topping for this cheesecake recipe, strawberries are a great choice. You can also try cherries, blueberries, or raspberries. Add 1 ½ cup of fruit to a saucepan over medium heat with ¼ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, or 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Mix water with 1 tablespoon of corn starch and pour into fruit. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer until the topping begins to thicken. Let the topping cool before pouring it over the cheesecake to set.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
MORE CHEESECAKE RECIPES
- Ultimate Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Crispy Cinnamon Sugar Sopapilla Cheesecake
- Gingerbread Cheesecake
- Oreo Cheesecake
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake
- Cheesecake Filled Pumpkin Bars
TIPS FOR MAKING NEW YORK CHEESECAKE
- Top your New York style cheesecake with sweet toppings like fresh fruit, cookie crumbs, chocolate sauce, coconut flakes, or preserves.
- Be careful not to over mix your filling, or you’ll end up with a deflated cheesecake.Set your stand mixer for low and watch until the ingredients are just combined to avoid over-beating.
- Turn this cheesecake recipe into mini cheesecakes by pressing the graham cracker crust into a muffin tin instead of the springform pan, then filling evenly with cheesecake filling and fruit topping.
- For the graham cracker crust, if you don’t have graham crackers you can use Oreo cookie crumbs, or any other cookie crumbs that you have.
- Refrigerate your cheesecake between serving it, so it doesn’t start to melt, and for food safety.
- Bring your cream cheese, eggs, and sour cream to room temperature. This will help everything mix together better and prevent any lumps from forming in the cheesecake.
- Your cheesecake is done when the sides of the cake are set, but the middle still wiggles slightly. Crack the oven door and turn the oven off to let it cool. This will help it avoid fast temperature changes and remain smooth and crack-free.
- Use a nonstick spring form pan lined with parchment paper to avoid the cheesecake batter from sticking to the pan.
- Place the cheesecake in a water bath while it’s cooking to prevent the top from cracking.
HOW TO STORE NEW YORK CHEESECAKE
- Serve: Do not leave cheesecake at room temperature for longer than two hours.
- Store: Wrapped tightly, New York Cheesecake will last in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
- Freeze: This cheesecake recipe is the PERFECT dessert to freeze for later. Just let it cool, then wrap it tightly in an airtight container and freeze. Cheesecake can remain in the freezer for about 6 months. When you’re ready, let the cheesecake defrost in the refrigerator. I usually take it out the night before I know I’m going to serve it.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs , 12 full crackers
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 32 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and wrap a 9 inch springform pan in a large piece of foil to protect from the water bath and a large pan of water you can set the springform pan in to bake.
Graham Cracker Crust
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs, ⅓ cup sugar and 6 tablespoons melted butter and press into the bottom of the springform pan and 1 inch up the sides.
- In a stand mixer beat the cream cheese and sugar then add in the milk until combined.
- Add in the eggs one at a time until fully combined then add in the sour cream, vanilla and flour until combined before pouring into the springform pan.
- Pour filling into pan over the crust and spread evenly.
- Place the pan in the water bath and bake for 1 hour.
- Turn off the oven, open the door a couple inches to let the heat out gently and let cool for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, discard the foil and refrigerate overnight before serving.
Photos used in a previous version of this post.
This New York cheesecake is so decadent and fun to it. That’s why I recommended this to my friend, and she was also impressed!
This New York cheesecake is a must-try! It was delightful and tasty, and the strawberry topping was sooo good!
So its going to be baked at 350?
Hi Sabrina I have really enjoyed several of your recipes. This cheesecake was great and easy to make. However it was my first time using a water bath and water got into the crust. I used tinfoil but it leaked. I am going to place the springform pan into a larger cake pan to keep the water out. Foil did not work for me. You say to only insulate the bottom and I know I went beyond that.
Oh no! Did the foil have a slit in it? Next time, make sure that the foil is one solid piece. Good luck!
I am a sucker for a good New York Style Cheesecake! This looks absolutely wonderful!
This is my dads favorite dessert ever – cant wait to make it again for him!
Oh I’m drooling!!! This cheesecake looks so delicious! I need a piece in my life ASAP. lol
Sounds like a smart decision, lol!
My mouth is watering just looking at this!
Wait until you take your first bite!
This cheesecake is perfection. Really hit the nail on the head with this recipe so good!
Dude, Sabrina you are killing me! This cheesecake looks perfect!
Haha, thanks!! I hope you enjoy it!