Dump Cake made with canned pineapple and cherry filling and topped with crunchy chopped pecans, this is the easiest no prep dessert recipe you’ll ever make.
EASY DUMP CAKE
Dump Cake may not sound as fancy or as enticing as some other exciting named American desserts like Better than Sex Cake or Slutty Brownies, but don’t let the name fool you, this dessert is a huge hit for your family event, pot luck or other party needs.
Dump Cake is made with fruit filling (I use cherry and pineapple, but peach fruit filling is also very popular), yellow cake mix, butter (or margarine) and chopped pecans. If you love making homemade cakes instead of using cake mixes next time you want to make a classic cake check out my Classic Yellow Cake recipe, it’s the most popular cake recipe on the site!
Cherry Dump Cake is the most popular flavor dump cake (Peach Dump Cake is a close second) and the most classic variety, but you can use any flavor you’d like. Be sure your fruit filling has some liquid in it too. Another good option is apple pie filling which has a similar amount of liquid and filling ratio to the cherry filling we use.
Should you mix in the dry cake mix?
No, do not mix the dry cake mix (I use yellow cake mix in my Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake but white cake mix is fine too) with the fruit filling. Add the cake mix to the top of the fruit filling and pour the melted butter over the dry mix and add the chopped pecan to the top of the cake ingredients before baking.
The ingredients in this great dessert require no actual preparation, just layering the ingredients in your baking dish.
How to Make Dump Cake:
- Use room temperature ingredients are best (except the stick of butter which must be melted).
- Grease the baking dish with butter or cooking spray before adding ingredients.
- Layer ingredients the same way in your slow cooker (crock pot) and cook on high heat for 2 hours until the top is cooked through.
- To serve the dump cake as pictured double the layer for extra height and serve with whipped cream.
- Cook until the top is golden brown and the cake layer is set.
MORE CAKE RECIPES
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 21 ounces can cherry pie filling
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple
- 1 yellow cake mix , 18.25 ounce
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1 cup pecans , chopped
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add the cherries to the bottom of the pan, then add the crushed pineapple on top.
- Pour on the cake mix, then pour the butter over the mix evenly and sprinkle on the pecans.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 12 servings, Amount per serving: 312 calories, Calories: 312g, Carbohydrates: 44g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 20mg, Sodium: 315mg, Potassium: 113mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 26g, Vitamin A: 265g, Vitamin C: 4.5g, Calcium: 107g, Iron: 1.2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.