Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake is an easy one-dish 3 ingredient cake recipe with rich cherry pie filling and buttery chocolate cake.
Easy desserts like Chocolate Cake are great for weeknight treats or potlucks, and sweet enough for Valentine’s Day! Check out even more delicious, easy Dessert Recipes to make for your loved ones.
CHERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE
Spoil your loved ones this year with a yummy Valentine’s Day dessert like this easy chocolate cake! Made with only 3 ingredients, this cake is ready for the oven in less than 5 minutes. The hardest thing about Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake is opening the cans.
Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake melts in your mouth like a fudge lava cake meets a cherry pie. If you’ve never had a dump cake with cake mix, your world is about to change for the better! These cakes are so incredibly yummy, and the cherry pie filling keeps every bite moist for days.
Dump cakes like this Cherry Chocolate Cake are best served warm, tasting almost like a melty chocolate cherry cobbler. You can top Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake with chocolate frosting but it tastes amazing with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. Cool vanilla ice cream with a warm melty chocolate cake is just a perfect combination.
The wonderful thing about easy cake mix recipes like Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake is that you can easily make it so many ways with ingredients you have in your pantry. Stir in chocolate chips, change the pie filling, add almond extract, or use any of the variations below to give you some ideas.
For a more tart Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake, mix in fresh cherries to the cherry pie filling. You can also top this cake with Whipped Cream and maraschino cherries, or serve just how it is. There’s no wrong way to make or eat a Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake, it’s that easy!
Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake can be made ahead of time by preparing the cake in the baking pan and then refrigerating for about one day before baking. You can also freeze a baked cake for about 3 months so you always have a delicious cake ready to go! Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
Easily make these into mini Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes and bake in a muffin tin in two batches to make 24 cupcakes. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and divide one can cherry pie filling into each cup. Top with half of the cake mix and then pour half the melted butter over cake mix. Bake for 20-22 minutes at 350 degrees.
MORE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPES:
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY CHOCOLATE DUMP CAKE
- Cake Mix: Choose a good, rich flavored chocolate cake. A dark chocolate cake is a good option, even adding in additional chocolate chips is a great idea. Avoid any large lumps in the cake mix, this won’t absorb enough liquid to cook evenly.
- Cherry Pie Filling: Use two full cans, this adds a lot of moisture and plenty of cherry filling per bowl you serve.
- Butter: Make sure you are careful to pour the butter over the cake mix evenly to help prevent dry spots.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Nuts: Give your Cherry Chocolate Cake some crunch and stir in a handful of chopped walnuts or pecans to the cake batter.
- Flavoring: Mix a teaspoon of vanilla extract or almond extract into the cherry pie filling before adding to the baking pan to ramp up the flavor.
- Frosting: Top your Chocolate Cherry Cake with chocolate Buttercream Frosting or Chocolate Ganache.
- Chocolate Chips: Chocolate cake can always use more chocolate! Stir white chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or milk chocolate chips into the dry cake mix before topping the cherry pie filling.
- Pie Filling: You can use other fruit or pie fillings instead of the cherry pie filling like blackberry, strawberry, or a berry medley filling.
- Cake Mix: For a richer chocolate cake use Devil’s food cake mix or German chocolate cake mix. For cherry pie cake, use a vanilla cake mix.
Slow Cooker Cherry Chocolate Cake – 2 Ways!
You can make a Slow Cooker Cherry Chocolate Cake two different ways.
- For a dump cake recipe, simply pour both cans of cherry pie filling into the slow cooker. Combine cake mix and 1 stick of butter until crumble texture. Sprinkle cake mix over pie filling and cook on low for 4 hours or 2 hours on high.
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Prepare cake batter by mixing 1 can cherry pie filling and 3 large eggs with cake mix. Pour cake batter into the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hours or until no wet spots and cake pulls away from the sides a bit. Top with remaining cherry pie filling.
MORE BEAUTIFUL, TASTY CAKES
HOW TO STORE CHERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Serve: This cake can be kept at room temperature for about 2 hours before you should store it.
- Store: Keep Cherry Chocolate Cake in an airtight container for up to a week in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: This chocolate cake can be frozen for up 3 months. Cool completely before freezing and thaw in the fridge overnight to serve.
- 2 cans cherry pie filling , 20 oz each
- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix , (15.25 ounces)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom of 9x13 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread pie filling in baking dish.
- Top with dry cake mix; gently shake pan to distribute evenly.
- Pour melted butter over top, tilting pan to cover as much of top with butter as possible.
- Bake 42 to 45 minutes or until mostly dry on top and bubbly around edges.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Just made this for a barbecue this weekend. This awesome cake and a huge hit with the family. I added dark chocolate chips and chocolate icing. Its a very rich desert but sooo good.
That sounds so yummy. Is there any specific order you added them?
Can I use a sugar free cake mix? My sister is diabetic and I’d loved to make it for her tomorrow
I haven’t tested it but I don’t see why not.
Easy is exactly what i was looking for. Bday recipe for me!
Yay! Happy birthday!!
This cake is seriously amazing and perfect for Valentine’s day!
You’ll fall in love with it!
You had me at 3 ingredients and chocolate. I’m a lover of all things chocolate especially when they are this easy.
It doesn’t need to always be complicated.
I love how few ingredients it takes to make this. Yum!
The BEST dump cake! So easy and so tasty!
So glad you enjoyed it, Suzy.
OMG chocolate and cherries? How can this be anything other than DELISH!? Would love this with a dollop of sour cream right now!