Almond Cherry Chocolate Muffins are the perfect tender, buttery baked goods with chocolate chips, almond slices, and sweet cherries.
These easy muffin recipes will having you feeling like you are at your favorite bakery even when you’re in your own kitchen. Enjoy tender crumbly muffins with a cup of coffee for the perfect Breakfast to start your day out right. For more muffin recipes try Pecan Muffins or Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins next.
ALMOND CHERRY CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
These delicious Almond Cherry Chocolate Muffins are perfect for a lazy morning or holiday breakfast. The juicy cherries and crunchy almonds add a lot of texture and flavor to the fluffy base. It is truly the perfect combination, and it’s just bursting with sweet, tart, rich flavor!
The sweet cherry flavor and red color also makes these muffins the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day. Serve them up with other Valentine’s treats like Strawberry Brownies and Cake Balls for a fun holiday get-together. To make them more festive bake the muffins in pink cupcake liners and be sure to put some of the cherries on top instead of just mixing them all into the batter.
You want to add cherries, almonds, and chocolate chips to the top of the muffins instead of just letting the batter cover all of them. This adds fun color and lets everyone know what wonderful flavors are in store for them!
You can also make these breakfast treats ahead of time and enjoy muffins for breakfast throughout the week. It’s great to make a big batch of muffins on the weekend then leave them in the fridge. That way everyone in the family can grab them on the way out the door for breakfast or enjoy them as a snack throughout the day.
MORE MUFFIN RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING ALMOND CHERRY CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
- Prep time: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line the muffin cups with paper liners.
- Batter: Add the vegetable oil, sour cream, granulated sugar, eggs, whole milk, and almond extract to a large mixing bowl. Whisk the wet ingredients together until well blended. In a separate bowl sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Continue sifting until it’s combined and there are no clumps. Combine the flour mixture with the wet ingredients, but be careful not to over-mix.
- Assemble: Stir in ½ cup mini chocolate chips. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop batter into the muffin liners. Add the remaining chocolate chips, sliced almonds and cherries to the top.
- Bake: Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes. You can test if they’re done by sticking a toothpick in the center. Once it comes out clean, they’re finished baking. Leave them on a wire rack to cool.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON ALMOND CHERRY CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
- Mini Muffins: You can make these Almond Cherry Chocolate Muffins into adorable bite-sized treats by baking them in mini muffin tins with mini cupcake liners. Just make sure the cherries and almonds are broken into small enough pieces for the mini muffins.
- Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate tastes great with cherries, so you can use dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks instead of semisweet chocolate chips.
- Nuts: Instead of almonds try out pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, or cashews in the recipe.
- Flour: You can use different kinds of flour in the recipe instead of all-purpose flour. Try out whole wheat flour for some more nutrients. Or, to make the muffins gluten-free use almond flour, coconut flour, or oat flour.
- Oil: If you would like, replace the vegetable oil in the recipe with coconut oil, sunflower oil, or avocado oil.
- Fruit: You can try different kinds of berries in the recipe like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, or other fresh fruits. Another option is using maraschino cherries in place of the regular cherries in the recipe. The maraschino cherry juice will add lots of flavor to the muffins.
- Glaze: For a simple icing on top of your Almond Cherry Chocolate Muffins, combine 2 cups powdered sugar, ¼ cup melted butter, 3 tablespoons of milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Whisk the glaze together and drizzle it over the muffins before serving. You can also sprinkle some sparkling sugar over the top and it will stick to the glaze.
MORE CHERRY DESSERTS
HOW TO STORE ALMOND CHERRY CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
- Serve: You can serve Almond Cherry Chocolate Muffins fresh from the oven and leave them uncovered at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: To store the muffins at room temperature, line an airtight container or plastic bag with a paper towel and put the muffins in the sealed container. They’ll stay good for up to 4 days. You can also put the sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: Sealed muffins can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw them at room temperature before eating.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fresh cherries , pitted and chopped
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl add the vegetable oil, sour cream, sugar, egg, whole milk, and almond extract and whisk until fully combined.
- Into a second bowl sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk until just combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Stir in fresh cherries and ½ cup of chocolate chips.
- Using a ¼ cup ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into each liner.
- Top with ½ cup of chocolate chips and sliced almonds.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.