MORE DELICIOUS MUFFIN RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE CINNAMON STREUSEL MUFFINS
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together topping ingredients.
- Cut in the butter then whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add in eggs one at a time.
- Add in milk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Sprinkle over the streusel topping.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
VARIATIONS ON CINNAMON STREUSEL MUFFINS
- Apple Cinnamon: Turn these into Apple Streusel Muffins by replacing half of the butter with applesauce and adding finely diced apples (or dried apple bits) to your batter.
- Cheese Streusel: Give these streusel cinnamon muffins a decadent twist by mixing spoonfuls of softened cream cheese into your batter before baking.
- Pumpkin Spice: You can make these holiday themed by adding Pumpkin Pie Spice to your crumb topping. Scoop your batter into muffin cups and swirl in a small bit of Pumpkin Puree to add more flavor.
- Mini Muffins: Use a mini muffin tin to make these into bite-sized treats. They will need less cooking time.
- Nuts: Chopped pecans or walnuts can be added to the streusel topping for an added crunch. You can also sprinkle them into your mix before baking.
- Gluten-Free: Make these streusel-topped muffins gluten free by swapping the flour for almond flour.
- Why did my crumb topping sink? Crumbly toppings like streusel or crisps will sink if you use too much butter.
- Why did my muffins sink? Two main reasons a muffin will sink is due to a bad leavening agent (like baking soda) or being under baked. To prevent this from happening, label your baking soda and baking powder when you open them. Test your oven temperature for consistency with an oven safe thermometer.
- What is the difference between Strudel and Streusel? A strudel is a type of baked good where a streusel is what goes on top of a baked good. Strudels are layers of pastry wrapped around a filling like fruit. Streusels are a crumbly topping that you can put on breads, coffee cakes, muffins, or Strudels.
- Why do my muffins get soggy when I store them? If your muffins are not completely cooled when you put them into an airtight container, the heat will cause moisture to collect. For best results, use a paper towel in the bottom of your container to absorb moisture.
MORE DELICIOUS CINNAMON RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CINNAMON STREUSEL MUFFINS
- Serve: Serve fresh from the oven, and leave up to 2 hours uncovered.
- Store: Line a container or plastic bag with a paper towel and store for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Freeze for up to 2 months in an air-tight container. To reheat, thaw at room temperature or use a microwave on 50% power.
Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
- Yield: 12
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Cinnamon Streusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin cups.
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon from the topping part of the recipe then cut the butter in until it resembles small chunks the size of peas.
Put the mixture in the fridge while you make the muffin batter.
In a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
Add in the eggs one at a time until fully mixed in then add in the milk and vanilla extract.
Add in the flour, baking powder and salt until just combined.
Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measure, put the batter into the muffin liners then sprinkle the crumb topping over the top of the batter, pressing the crumble in slightly.
Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yield: 12 , Amount per serving: 287 calories, Calories: 287g, Carbohydrates: 42g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 56mg, Sodium: 119mg, Potassium: 126mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 22g, Vitamin A: 383g, Calcium: 55g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.