MORE DELICIOUS MUFFIN RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE CINNAMON STREUSEL MUFFINS
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together topping ingredients.
- Cut in the butter then whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add in eggs one at a time.
- Add in milk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Sprinkle over the streusel topping.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CINNAMON STREUSEL MUFFINS
- Apple Cinnamon: Turn these into Apple Streusel Muffins by replacing half of the butter with applesauce and adding finely diced apples (or dried apple bits) to your batter.
- Cheese Streusel: Give these streusel cinnamon muffins a decadent twist by mixing spoonfuls of softened cream cheese into your batter before baking.
- Pumpkin Spice: You can make these holiday themed by adding Pumpkin Pie Spice to your crumb topping. Scoop your batter into muffin cups and swirl in a small bit of Pumpkin Puree to add more flavor.
- Mini Muffins: Use a mini muffin tin to make these into bite-sized treats. They will need less cooking time.
- Nuts: Chopped pecans or walnuts can be added to the streusel topping for an added crunch. You can also sprinkle them into your mix before baking.
- Gluten-Free: Make these streusel-topped muffins gluten free by swapping the flour for almond flour.
- Why did my crumb topping sink? Crumbly toppings like streusel or crisps will sink if you use too much butter.
- Why did my muffins sink? Two main reasons a muffin will sink is due to a bad leavening agent (like baking soda) or being under baked. To prevent this from happening, label your baking soda and baking powder when you open them. Test your oven temperature for consistency with an oven safe thermometer.
- What is the difference between Strudel and Streusel? A strudel is a type of baked good where a streusel is what goes on top of a baked good. Strudels are layers of pastry wrapped around a filling like fruit. Streusels are a crumbly topping that you can put on breads, coffee cakes, muffins, or Strudels.
- Why do my muffins get soggy when I store them? If your muffins are not completely cooled when you put them into an airtight container, the heat will cause moisture to collect. For best results, use a paper towel in the bottom of your container to absorb moisture.
MORE DELICIOUS CINNAMON RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CINNAMON STREUSEL MUFFINS
- Serve: Serve fresh from the oven, and leave up to 2 hours uncovered.
- Store: Line a container or plastic bag with a paper towel and store for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Freeze for up to 2 months in an air-tight container. To reheat, thaw at room temperature or use a microwave on 50% power.
Cinnamon Streusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon from the topping part of the recipe then cut the butter in until it resembles small chunks the size of peas.
- Put the mixture in the fridge while you make the muffin batter.
- In a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the eggs one at a time until fully mixed in then add in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Add in the flour, baking powder and salt until just combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop or ¼ cup measure, put the batter into the muffin liners then sprinkle the crumb topping over the top of the batter, pressing the crumble in slightly.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Can the muffins be in the fridge?
Yes. If your muffins are not completely cooled when you put them into an airtight container, the heat will cause moisture to collect. For best results, use a paper towel in the bottom of your container to absorb moisture.
These are the best cinnamon muffins I’ve ever had and they are so easy to make for us amateur bakers!!
Can you add the weights to this recipe?
Can you use 2% milk?
Sure but it may change the consistency a bit
Trying to figure out what I did wrong. They turned out more like vanilla cupcakes with cinnamon streusel on top. The muffin is completely pale in color and no cinnamon peaking out like the photo. I noticed the muffin batter didn’t include cinnamon or brown sugar so maybe I’m just missing something to make the batter appear like the photo? :/ Still tasty though.
How would I change these to be jumbo muffins? Thanks!
Hello! Just checking if I can use Demerara sugar to substitute brown sugar in the recipe. Thank you!
I haven’t tried that so I am not sure what it would do for the taste.
How long cinnamon streusel muffin stay fresh?
Hi the blog has this info as follows :Serve: Serve fresh from the oven, and leave up to 2 hours uncovered.
Store: Line a container or plastic bag with a paper towel and store for up to 4 days.
Freezer: Freeze for up to 2 months in an air-tight container. To reheat, thaw at room temperature or use a microwave on 50% power.
Muffin taste was pretty bland and the streusel topping needed a lot more butter and brown sugar. Even though I pressed it into the dough as directed most of it fell off during baking.
what about using 2% milk in recipe?
Yep, that’ll work too! Enjoy!
I doubled the cinnamon (at least, maybe 1.5x-2x) and added a couple extra tablespoons of brown sugar in the topping, and did what other reviewers have done, adding in topping when I put the batter in the muffin tins. Add half the batter, a good heaping teaspoon of streusel, then the other half of the batter for each cup. Top generously, and these were delicious! Nice, crunchy top, soft muffin inside. Mine were not at all dense, as others have suggested.
The only real change I suggest is to add more cinnamon and brown sugar to the streusel.
I’m glad you were able to adjust more to your liking, Jessica. I appreciate the 5 star rating.
I’m sorry I’ll have to agree with many of the other bakers, these are distasteful. They are very bland from the muffin to the topping and I added apple spice and more cinnamon. The muffin itself is very dense just not what I’d consider a soft yummy muffin. I’m also a baker and followed the recipe to the tee. Will not be using again.
can i use almond milk?
Hi I made these today and my husband loved them! I modified the recipe a little by adding a little more than called for cinnamon to the crumble and I also added a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon to the batter. Finally, I made a little powder sugar and milk glaze on them when they cooled! Awesome!
What kind of flour
All purpose flour 🙂
I only have salted butter. Will this work?
Yes but cut back the salt in the muffins to 1/4 teaspoon. Enjoy!
Made these today and they were great! Loved the topping
Thanks for coming back to let me know, Erica.
HELP! I accidentally forgot to put the crumbles on top of the muffin batter before baking! Can this batch be salvaged
Oh no! They should still be delicious though, just missing the streusel.
Can these be frozen once completely cooled?
Do the recipe make medium muffins?
I used a regular muffin tin for these.
I don’t have any muffin tins can I make this in a cake pan and if so what are the cooking times
I have a recipe for Cinnamon Streusel Bread
The streusel on these muffins is pure perfection! I’m a huge muffin fan and these look delicious!
Thanks, Chelsey. Muffin tops are the best part.
Yessssss – perfect! I love streusel! Great idea to make muffins!
I’m so glad you enjoyed them!
Yum! I love coffee cake and I LOVE not having to share. 🙂 These muffins are perfect and tasty and awesome domed tops. Great for company and great to freeze for quick snacks.
I’m so glad you enjoyed them so much! It’s nice to have it all portioned out and ready to eat.
Omg yes to everything about this recipe!! These perfect little cakes turned out great, and they were so easy to make too!
I’m with you on that one. I love them so much too. So glad you decided to give them a try, Anjali.
buttermilk and streusel, winning combo right there
Thanks for the 5 stars, Morgan.