Chex Mix made with cereal, pretzels, crackers, and melted seasoned butter is the PERFECT combo of savory and crunchy for your next party!
Chex Mix is the ULTIMATE go-to party favorite, served at almost every party I’ve been to this year, and insanely easy to make. I use a mixture of rice, wheat, and corn Chex cereal, with pretzels, cheez-its, and a seasoning made from melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and onion powder.
It’s savory, crunchy, and super addictive.
This is the perfect bite-sized appetizer to serve during the holidays, BBQs, or even on game day. You can sub in any flavor of seasoned salt for the seasonings, or add whatever mixed nuts your guests would like.
You can also use your favorite variety of Chex cereal, just make sure the seasonings match the flavors you choose. Trust me, you’ll never want to go back to the store-bought version again!
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK CHEX MIX IN THE OVEN?
Spread your Chex party mix out on a baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees F for about an hour. This is basically toasting the Chex mix, and we’re doing it in the oven because it’s a faster way to toast a large batch at once. Make sure to stir every 15 minutes because we want the Chex mix to toast on all sides.
CAN YOU MAKE CHEX MIX AHEAD?
Chex mix can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container for 3-4 weeks. I recommend making it within 24 hours of serving, to make sure it’s as fresh as possible.
CAN I FREEZE HOMEMADE CHEX MIX?
Chex mix is PERFECT for making ahead and freezing. I always double this recipe because I know there’s going to be a time to use it over the next few months. This recipe will freeze for about 3 months.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW TO MAKE CHEX MIX IN THE SLOW COOKER
You can make this Chex mix recipe in the slow cooker if you’re having a set-it-and-forget-it kind of day.
- Add everything to the slow cooker
- Melt the butter and seasoning, and pour over the mix, stirring gently to combine.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours, or until hot and toasty.
- Stir once every hour, and right before serving.
MORE PARTY RECIPES
- Seven Layer Bean Dip
- Baked Cuban Pork Party Sliders
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Perfectly Easy Dinner Rolls
- Cocktail Meatballs
TIPS FOR MAKING CHEX MIX
- You can add other mix-ins like mixed nuts, bagel chips, cheerios, or popcorn. Also try flavored bagel chips like garlic flavor, just make sure to break the regular-size bagel chips into bite-size pieces.
- Make this recipe spicy by adding a dash of cayenne pepper and paprika, or a splash of hot sauce to the melted butter.
- If you don’t want to use the stove, you can melt the butter and seasoning together in a microwave-safe bowl for a total time of 45 seconds, stirring. Microwave an additional 20-30 seconds until fully melted.
- If you don’t have garlic seasoned salt, substitute 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Place this homemade Chex mix in small decorative jars, or in plastic bags wrapped in ribbon, to give away as party favors or holiday gifts!
- Add other seasonings instead of savory like cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey, along with the sweeter varieties of rice Chex or Chex cereal to make a sweet version of this recipe.
- This homemade Chex mix is also microwavable if you’re short on time, but it won’t get as crunchy and toasted as it would in the oven.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups Wheat Chex
- 2 cups Pretzels
- 2 cups Cheez-Its
- Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Add all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and onion powder to a small saucepan and whisk together until melted before pouring over all the ingredients and tossing well to combine evenly, then putting onto two cookie sheets and cooking for 1 hour, stirring them every 15 minutes.