Chick-fil-A Nuggets made with chicken breast meat and no pickle juice are an spot on copycat of the original nuggets without the hefty price tag!
Chick-fil-A Nuggets are a sore subject in our house because we are evenly divided between these nuggets and KFC popcorn chicken. As a mom, when we’re out and about to stop in a fast food option I tend to go with Chick-fil-A or In-n-Out just for small wins that make me feel like at least they seem freshest.
Chick-fil-A has become our non-burger favorite spot. It also helps that they make the best lemonade of all time (recipe coming soon). One of my only frustrations with them is the lines and the cost. Anytime we go there is a giant line in the drive-thru and with little kids in the car my patience is usually shorter than the wait.
So when we buy these chicken nuggets I also drive through to get popcorn chicken to avoid hearing about the “I don’t like sweet nuggets” from the peanut gallery. Yes, Chick-fil-A nuggets have a hint of sweetness in them (recreated here with powdered sugar), I personally like them but given my options I would probably choose a less sweetened version of chicken nuggets.
Looking for more Copycat recipes? I have a TON of them on the blog! Here is a whole Index of Copycat Recipes.
Tools Used in the making of these Chick-fil-A Nuggets:
Lodge Cast Dutch Oven: – I use this dutch oven for a lot of frying and braising.
Pig Tail Flipper: – I use this *almost* more than I use tongs in the kitchen. Flipping is so quick and doesn’t smash foods.
Spider Strainer: Love these strainers for quickly draining oil away and scooping out fried food.
Breadcrumbs: Great plain breadcrumbs, I normally use panko, but for this recipe I recommend these.
Breading Station: I use this because the pans are wide with a flat bottom. If you have small rectangular plates use those, I wouldn’t use curved bowls for breading stations as it could knock some breading off.
Chick-fil-A Nuggets (Copycat)
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound chicken breasts cut into 1" chunks
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 inches of peanut oil
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- In a food processor, add the breadcrumbs and process until very fine.
- In a large ziplock bag or a bowl add the chicken pieces, the milk and the eggs and combine. (I usually just close the bag and squish it together)
Put the chicken in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large dutch oven fill it 3 inches deep with peanut oil and heat to 365-375 degrees (medium high heat until a piece dropped in immediately bubbles up but doesn’t burn quickly).
- Put the breadcrumbs, flour, powdered sugar, Kosher salt, white pepper, chili powder in a bowl and whisk together.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture and let dry for a few minutes.
Fry in batches (avoid crowding them) until golden brown (2-3 minutes) and remove to a sheet pan.
- Don’t drain on paper towels, it’ll create steam and soften the nuggets.
Yield: 4 servings, Amount per serving: 379 calories, Calories: 379g, Carbohydrates: 39g, Protein: 33g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 160mg, Sodium: 1502mg, Potassium: 595mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 8g, Vitamin A: 290g, Vitamin C: 1.3g, Calcium: 128g, Iron: 2.9g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.