Chicken Divan is an easy weeknight meal to make in just 30 minutes. Tender chicken and broccoli are topped with a creamy, cheesy sauce.
This delicious chicken casserole is sure to become a family favorite Dinner Recipe. It’s similar to our Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole, but with an extra thick, rich and creamy sauce that makes Chicken Divan the perfect comfort food.
Simple casserole recipes like this are always a life saver around dinner time. There are no difficult steps, or obscure ingredients in this Chicken Divan recipe. All you have to do is combine the chicken and broccoli florets with the creamy sauce before you pour it all in a baking dish to cook for 20 minutes. You’ll have delicious Chicken Broccoli Divan in less than a half hour.
I love making this Chicken and Broccoli Casserole the night after I’ve made another chicken dish. Anytime I have leftover Rotisserie Chicken, or Slow Cooker Chicken Breast, I like to use them in a creamy chicken casserole recipe. It’s a great way to repurpose the meat so that you’re not just having the same dinner two nights in a row. Just add the sliced or shredded chicken to the creamy sauce and bake it in your casserole with broccoli.
Although Chicken Divan has a french name, it was actually invented in America. It was first served at a Parisian restaurant at a New York Hotel. It was also named for the restaurant, Divan Parisien Restaurant. Since then the creamy dish has become popular as a dinner recipe that can be easily made in your own kitchen.
WAYS TO SERVE CHICKEN DIVAN
The three parts to this classic casserole are the chicken meat, broccoli, and cheesy sauce. While you can serve it as it is, the creamy chicken tastes great over top of simple, filling sides. Probably the most classic combination is serving Divan over rice. You can use White or Brown Rice. For other easy bases try making some egg noodles or Mashed Potatoes. The simple sides taste amazing the creamy cheese sauce and they make the dinner more filling.
MORE CHICKEN DISHES
TIPS FOR MAKING CHICKEN DIVAN
- Prep time: To start the Chicken Divan recipe spray a 3 quart casserole dish with vegetable oil spray, and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, or use shredded chicken.
- Chicken mixture: Add the broccoli, cubed chicken, cream of chicken soup, milk, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to a large bowl. Toss the ingredients until the divan sauce coats the chicken and broccoli. If the cream sauce is seeming too thick add an extra splash of milk to the sauce ingredients.
- Toppings: Pour the casserole into your pan, and spread them out evenly. Top it off with cheese. Break the Ritz crackers into crumbs and mix them with melted butter. Sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the cheese.
- Bake: Cook for 18-20 minutes until the creamy sauce is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
VARIATIONS ON CHICKEN DIVAN
- Cheese: This creamy chicken casserole is already wonderfully cheesy with 2 cups of shredded cheese melting over the top. However, you can always change things up by using different kinds of cheese. Try out parmesan, mozzarella, Swiss, provolone, or pepper jack. You can use the other cheese to replace the cheddar entirely or use 1 cup grated cheddar and 1 cup of the other cheese varieties.
- Mushroom: Try using cream of mushroom soup in Chicken Divan instead of cream of chicken soup. You can also slice up some mushrooms to toss in the casserole along with the mushroom soup mixture.
- Flavor add-ins: For some different flavors try mixing in some sauces with the creamy mixture like Dijon mustard or Worcestershire sauce. You can also add spices like oregano, paprika, red pepper flakes, or curry powder.
- Bread crumb topping: Instead of using a ritz cracker topping you can use Panko breadcrumbs. You can also make your own bread crumbs, by drying out some bread overnight and then breaking it into crumbs.
MORE CHICKEN CASSEROLE DISH RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN DIVAN
- Serve: Don’t leave Chicken Divan at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: If you have any leftovers, cover the casserole with foil or plastic wrap to store in the fridge. It’ll stay good for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also wrap the leftovers in plastic wrap, tin foil, or put it in an airtight container in the freezer. It will stay good for 6 months.
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 4 cups fresh broccoli , chopped
- 3 chicken breasts , cooked and chopped
- 10.75 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup , (1 can)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese , shredded
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter , melted
- 20 ritz crackers , finely crushed (or panko)
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Mix the broccoli, chicken, chicken soup, milk, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder together then pour it into the baking pan.
- Top with cheese.
- Mix the ritz crumbs with the melted butter and top over the cheese.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 255 calories, Calories: 255g, Carbohydrates: 8g, Protein: 19g, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 73mg, Sodium: 524mg, Potassium: 370mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 636g, Vitamin C: 28g, Calcium: 188g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.